Hot Yoga After Lipo on "Muffin Top"?

It's been 11 days since I had lipo on my "muffin top". Can I do hot yoga?

Ask your surgeon

+1

Dear Peachesdaisy

A lot of my liposuction business is word of mouth. Many of my patients are members at the same yoga studio. Typically, they are back doing yoga on the second or third day after liposuction. However, I practice pure tumescent liposuction under local anesthesia with very small cannulas. The method is associated with minimal tissue trauma, nearly no blood loss and very rapid recovery. I have no reservation telling my patients that they can return to their work out two days after liposuction. Not all forms of liposuction are so gentle. I strongly recommend that you follow your surgeons advice regarding when it is permissible for you to return to your workout routine.

Hold off yoga after Lipo for two more weeks

+1

My recommendation is that you hold off two more weeks. Remember that right now your body is trying how to get rid of all that swelling in the skin, fat and muscle though a lymphatic system thats been beat up by your surgery.

Doing bending or twisting exercises will tend to draw fluid to those areas and result in swelling that persists longer than it might otherwise. The addition of the heat to the yoga shouldn't help or hinder your recovery.

Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon