Home Laser Hair Removal

I want to get permanent hair removal for my bikini line. I really want to do this privately, preferably by myself. Can a home laser hair removal machine safely get rid of this hair? Thank you for your assistance

Tria Laser for Home

+2

Yes,

I read an independent review on Tria Home Laser Sytem. It seemed pretty good.

Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully and stay within the parameters given by the manafacturer.

Regards

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Home Laser Hair Removal

+1

There is not enough study to say weather the home lasers hair removal machines work.It may work for some,others may need something stronger.It depends on the person,what skin type verses hair color and texture. You have be careful and mindful that laser hair home machines will deliver a less energy than a professional grade.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal

+1
Thank you for your question. I would not suggest home laser hair removal. A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck!

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Home Laser Devices

+1

Although home laser devices may be a nice alternative to have for laser hair removal, they are not going to give you the same side by side effective results per session as compared to a medical laser found in a physician's office.  One reason is because the lasers utilized in a physician's office are more powerful than what's currently available for purchase by the consumer.   In addition, the settings and  the type of laser required for effective laser hair removal without side effects are dependent upon certain factors, such as hair color, hair type, ethnic background, and skin type just to name a few.

If you do decide to use a home laser device, make sure that you thoroughly follow the instructions as directed by the manufacturer.

Kenneth W. Neal, MD
Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal, Home laser hair removal systems do not have the power of medical lasers

+1
The amount of power required for effective, consistent and reliable laser hair removal cannot be found in systems for home use. Even with medical lasers some lasers are much more effective than others.
Many people can be uncomfortable about the idea of having laser hair removal performed. What so many people don't realize is that an experienced laser technician has  performed thousands of laser hair removal procedures on virtually every area of the body. In order to be as comfortable as possible have your laser hair removal performed in a medical office or medical spa owned and operated by a physician. Ask about the years of experience of the laser technician. Most offices, including my ofice provide a complimentary consultation. This will give you the opportunity to visit a facility, meet medical professionals and see if you feel comfortable with the laser technician you meet.
Good luck

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can Home Devices Work for Laser Hair Removal?

+1

Hello.  I think yours is the $64,000 question that consumers would like the answer to.  While there are several devices that are FDA approved for home based hair removal, we are not sure that any of these are high powered enough to provide permanent results.  The reason is that they do not achieve the high peak fluence (energy) level necessary to provide permanent results.

Even in the dermatology world where the devices go through a more stringent standard for approval, there are many devices that are not effective for permanent hair removal.  In most cases this is because the FDA places a premium on safety but has a very low hurdle (about 15%) for efficacy.  This means if the device leads to some kind of hair removal for 15% of patients tested, it may very well get approved.  Most consumers and physicians would not deem a 15% success rate a success, but the FDA is not approving equipment with this mindset.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Home laser hair removal- the Jury is out

+1

The laser home removal devices are approved by the government and tested for safety. With that being said that assumes you follow all the correct parameters- which many patients don't. In addition it 'seems' not to have the power for permanent removal in the same number of sessions- if at all. I have asked a few of my patients who say that it gets rid of the hair but not permanently. The jury is still out- as I await real double blind studies - NOT FROM THE MANUFACTURER- to know how well they really work. Good luck!

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Home hair laser

+1

I hope that you will report back here to all of us who haven't yet met patients who have tried these out. All I have read has been written by the manufacturer who of course is going to paint the rosiest picture.

Be well!

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist