Are High Profile Implants Recommended for Patient with Wide Chest?

My appointment is this week and I'm a bit nervous about the result. I have a wide chest and sternum. I'm a B cup with good breast tissue.

The doctor recommended 375cc high profile when I told him I wanted a proportionate, natural look. Everything I've read on high profile implants says that they are best on narrow chests. Will I look fake and odd?

High Profile Implants vs Moderate Profile Implants..

+2

High profile implants are mostly selected for petite framed women, size 30-32 in back. Reason is, high profile implants have a small base and project more forward to fit the petite framed back and chest. Moderate profile implants are meant for wider backs and chest. These implants have a wider base and don't have as much projection forwards like high profile implants. This allows the moderate profile implants to take up more "base" space for the wider backs and chest. So in other words, if you have a wide back and chest & put high profile implants, you will have gaps.

Breast sizing

+2

I would generally not recommend high-profile implants for patients with your body type.

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

No high profile implants with wide chest!

+2

The single most important dimension for breast implants is called the base width.  High profile implants have a narrower base width than standard or "moderate profile" implants.  High profile give more forward projection and less width...looking at your photo...you need width. I would ABSOLUTELY not recommend high profile implants in your case even at that volume.  I think you will have an increased space or gap between the breasts which sometimes can look unnatural.   I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

Explain what "natural" means to you

+1
Please talk to your surgeon and explain what you define as "natural". High profile implants can achieve a natural looking result, however it may not do that for your body type if you have a wider chest. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Match the base diameters

+1
High profile implants can be used on a wide variety of chest diameters.  The implant base diameter should match the breast diameter.  The surgeon should measure the chest and help you choose an implant.  You should be picking the volume by trying on sizers.  Then together you and the surgeon can pick the right implant.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implants Come In All Shapes & Sizes

+1

It’s important to understand that implants come in all shapes and sizes. Implants have unique characteristics, which allow them to be used for specific indications. The majority of patients will need moderate profile implants. These implants tend to create breasts that appear to look more natural. This type of implant has a wider base dimension. It creates a breast with less superior fullness and less anterior projection.

In contrast, high profile implants have a narrow base dimension. These implants create a more artificial appearance with more upper breast fullness and anterior breast projection.

In patients with increased transverse chest dimensions, an implant with a broader base will be necessary to create a natural appearance. In this case, a high profile implant would be exactly what you don’t need. This would result in two breasts that have significant projection, that are widely spaced giving a distinctly abnormal appearance.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant Sizing depends on several factors

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

You are right

+1

On a narrow chest I believe higher profile implants allow more volume without distorting the anatomy as much as lower profile implants.  There is not one correct answer to your question. By your photos you do not look like you have a wide chest, and higher profile implants will allow you to have more volume without distorting your anatomy.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Wide chest

+1

The choice of implants depends upon numerous factors including your general anatomy and your volume requests.  But you might need wider implants to help with the lack of cleavage.

+1

High profile implants will tend to lower the incidence of visible rippling inyour thin body type but will not promote cleavage due to the pre-existing wide separation of your breast mounds.