What Constitutes a Natural-looking Hairline?

Several doctors warn about getting stuck with a hair transplant surgeon who doesn't understand hair loss and creates an artificial looking hair line.

So what makes a natural looking one?

Hairline should be perfect?

+1

Hairline created in hair transplantation shows how experienced is your doctor.Every hairline should be planned proportional to the patient's face.Some might be lower some might be higher but in any case it should be looking natural at the end.The line should be dense enough to make a smooth passage to both temporals.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Re: Natural Looking Hairline

+1

If you look at the hairlines of people who have not lost any hair, you will notice that the edges are very soft. This is because thin hairs tend to grow in the very front. Therefore, a natural looking hairline will be made of finer hairs which progressively thicker hairs behind them. Thinner hairs can be harvested from areas such as the leg or nape. This can be done using the uGraft protocols of advanced FUE.

Other elements of a natural looking hairline include: height of the hairline. This should not be too high or too low on the face.

Symmetry is also important. One side of the hairline should look like the other.
Also the shape of the hairline should complement the individual’s features.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

It is more involved than you think....devil is in the details!

+1

Without a doubt a natural hairline design plays a crucial part in hair restoration surgery.  As the science advances, skilled surgeons should not only restore the previous appearance but also enhance it to be more aesthetically pleasing.  A greater quantity of grafts will look disastrous if the quality of the restored hairline is not natural looking.  As there are patterns in the natural world, so do hairlines follow certain patterns.  It is difficult to find a one pattern that fits all because different ethnicity have differing views of attractiveness.  A skilled surgeon can recognize the different patterned hairlines in all ethnicity   But there is also a general rule of three where there is an equal proportion between the chin to the nose, the nose to the glabella (area between your eyebrows), and the glabella to the anterior most point of the hairline. From that point there should be a balance between the patients expectations and the quantity and quality of the donor site. But again it is important to stress that depending on your age and desired result there are several other factors to be considered when creating the restored hairline.  Please see the surgeon of your choice for a consultation for a in depth understanding of this process. Che ck out ARTAS robotic air trasplantation

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Natural-Looking Hairline

+1

A hairline is best created by paying attention to the proper direction of hair growth and give the individual a natural look.  Hairlines are influenced by culture, age and personal preference.  Your provider will discuss options. It is very important to find a good, well qualified hair transplant surgeon that would perform his work so not even your hair dresser will ever notice that you had a hair restoration surgery. Unfortunately there is not great definition of your natural hair line, but all know when it looks unnatural.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

What Constitutes a Natural looking Hairline?

+1

The artistry of the person performing the procedure.  That is why no piece of technology no matter how aggressively promoted can replace the skill and artstic ability of the transplant surgeon.  A well done hair transplant should look like the person has never had a transplant.

Jack Fisher, MD

+1

Allow me to try and answer this a different way.

Unfortunately in my practice, we do spend a fair amount of time trying to correct work in patients who made the decision to get a procedure done based on criteria other than quality of work.;)

It is a big mistake thinking that just because a physician has a MD after his or her name, that all work is going to be equal.

There are 3 things that I see that makes a hair line unnatural.

1.) Placement of hairline

In my opinion going to low and not creating enough recession will bring you a lot of unwanted attention.

We try to design hair lines that will look great now and also look natural when the patient is much older.

2.) Type of grafts used

Hair grows naturally in multiples of 1,2,3 and 4's. 

When creating a hairline, we like to use single hair grafts, although this takes longer to dissect, it produces a wonderfully natural hair line that is staggered and almost impossible to detect.

3.) Type of instrument used to make recipient sites.

Most patients fear the "plugged up" look. This should not be an issue with the more modern techniques, however it's important to make sure your MD is using the smallest instruments to make the sites. Some MD's are still using the "punch graft" method.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural hairline

+1

A natural hairline is best created by paying attention to the proper direction of hair growth, by keeping a certain amount of irregularity in the finished product so as not to look "store bought" and by using only 1 or 2 hair hair transplants. Aside from this, proper trasition areas must be maintained and all work should, go well and work with, the patients facial proportions and existing hair.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

The not so straight and narrow on the hairline

+1

The hair line is critical in framing the face. The hair line must be natural and in my practice I design a hair line with a fine undulating pattern. A natural hair line in not a rounded distinct line but has a bit a weaving pattern. Additionally, the hair line is designed to blend into the natural temporal recession. If the hair line is designed to fill the temporal recession it will produce a hair line of person in there twenties which is unnatural for a person in there forties or older. Grafting in the hair line should initially use grafts that contain a single hair or 1-2 hairs. This eliminates the look of "plugs". Lastly, I try to maximize the density of the transplants to the hair line so that in front view of the face the hair line has the most density. At a second procedure I can graft the coronal scalp and increase the density of the previously grafted areas.

When you visit with a hair transplant surgeon sit down with him or her and have them draw out the anticipated hair line and describe their technique.

I hope this is helpful.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Principles of a Natural Hairline for Hair Transplantation

+1

The subject of a natural and beautiful hairline for hair transplant procedure could take volumes to write. Let me try to summarize it:

1. The hairline must not be so low that it could be unnatural or would not accommodate for future hair loss based on aging.

2. The hairline should not be so high that it does not properly frame the face and create a favorable aesthetic result.

3. The hairline should match the temporal hairline recession to finish the frame o/w the hairline can look like a toupee if it is too low and does not match the temples.

4. The hairline should not be too straight or it will look unnatural. It should resemble a coastline.

5. The hairline should not be so jaggedy that it looks unnatural. However, there should be fine sentinel hairs that come forward to soften a hairline especially if the hairs are thick.

6. The hairline grafts need to be well angled, very low and forward and not splayed open.

7. The hairline grafts must be of the finest hair calibers preferably taken from the temple or lower donor area and only of 1 hair sizes and also of the smallest calibers.

8. The hairline grafts should be atraumatically inserted and angled correctly o/w you get pitting, cobblestoning, compression (tufting), poor growth, kinky hair, improper curl (the hair is curling upward instead of downward or in all different directions).

9. The grafts cannot be spaced too widely in the front hairline o/w it will look grafty.

10. Shape of the hairline must artistically fit your facial shape, age, gender, and race. (I have videos on each of these topics on my website and youtube. www.hairtx.com).

Now, that only applies to the hairline. You also have to consider the pain level during the procedure, how hairs are placed across the rest of the head (midscalp, temples, lateral hump, vertex transition point, lateral crease, and possibly crown/vertex). Also, how the donor hair is treated, donor closure, donor wound healing, degree of transection, etc. Here is one video I shot on hairline design showing some of my corrective work too.

best,

sml

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Natural Hairline

+1

Simply look at men without any hair loss to see what is normal. The bigest issue is supply and demand. With hair replacement surgery, we don't add hair; we just rearrange it. Therefore, experience will help determine the ultimate extent of alopecia, where the hairline should be placed, whether hair transplants or the Fleming/Mayer is the best procedure, and if you are even a candidate for surgery.