How Long Do Hair Transplant Results Last?

I am only 17 years old but I have been going bald for a while from the front to the back. Both left and right hand sides in the front are gone. I was thinking about having hair transplant, but how long would the hair stay on for? Or is this not a good idea?

Is Hair Transplant feasible for Young Patients?

+1

I do not do hair transplants on teenagers that are undergoing massive hair loss.  The problem is you have no idea where the good donor hair is and you can spend a lot of money and the hair will be quickly lost.

Hair Transplant at Young Age

+1

At 17, you are likely not an appropriate candidate for a transplant procedure, instead are best treated conservatively with Propecia. While the transplants are considered “permanent”, as you get older and experience more hair loss, you will likely run out of donor hair to cover up the areas of future hair loss.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants are Permanent, But at Your Age...

+1

I totally agree with the other docs. At 17 if you are losing hair, you would most likely lose much more over your lifetime meaning that you would eventually run out of usable donor hair and because hair transplants are permanent would most likely be left with an unnatural result that would be glaringly obvious and terrible.

You are interestingly an excellent candidate for medical management or could be because these medications (see video) work particularly well on the younger patient with early hair loss, so-called miniaturization. hope that helps as a start.

best,

dr. sam lam

Web reference: http://www.hairtx.com/procedures/male-hair-restoration/

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplant Success

+1

All males have a genetic program which determines how much hair you will lose and where on your scalp this will occur. Hair transplants last a lifetime if the hair is taken from an area of the scalp where baldness will not occur. Unfortunately, the ultimate extent of the alopecia cannot be determined at your age with rapidly progressing hair loss. I suggest you see a transplant surgeon to document your baldness and perhaps prescribe a medical treatment. I don't recommend surgery at this time.

Get a thorough evaluation

+1

Alex,

You should definitely see a hair loss expert who can recommend the best 'total approach' for you to follow. Hair transplantation is permanent, but there are other medications such as Propecia (finasteride 1mg) which can help slow down your hair loss and keep you from thinning at such a rapid rate. With Propecia, up to 90% of men will actually regrow hair for up to 2 years after starting, and then maintain a plateau for many years afterwards. This is a safe medicine that has been on the US market since 1997. Consult with your dermatologist or primary doctor to at least get started on this before you try to pursue hair transplantation!

New Orleans Dermatologist

This is not a good idea now.

+1

You need to wait a few years to determine if you will have enough hair to proceed. Otherwise, the hair transplants(which last forever) might be out there by themselves on the front of your head and not enough hair to finish the job!