Gortex or Silicone Implant to Augment Philtrum?

I would like my philtrum in between my nose and mouth augmented should I use a gortex implant or a silicone implant? What are the risks? It doesn't seem to be a common procedure.

Upper lip augmenation

+1

I would avoid any permanent prosthesis in this area.  You may be better off with a filler such as restylane or hyaluronic acid. The permanent implants may limit normal animation.  If you do  not like the result, the filler will go away after several months.

Silicone implant to base of nose can be very attractive.

+1

Hi!

As you can see, there is no consensus about this. In my experience, when the base of the nose (what you are calling the philtrum) is sunken, it really detracts from the attractiveness of the face.

In carefully selected patients, we put in a small silicone implant through the mouth, and it makes a nice difference. We sometimes do this together with a mid facelift.

Many Options For Lip Rejuvenation

+1

Greetings,

It is interesting that you are looking at philtral implants. Upper lip aging is a complicated process which involves loss of red show, loss of the natural curves slope of the lip, and loss of the philtral columns. Replacing of the philtral columns can be accomplished with temporary fillers, such as the hyaluronic acid products Juvederm and Restylane, or with permanent implants as you mentioned. You will not find a consensus on which is better. The procedure is not performed often. There is a rather good study in the literature which combined a subnasal lip lift procedure (shown in Dr. Placik's video) with gortex (or more precisely ePTFE) implants. The results are quite nice. I would suggest visiting withe a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon in your area who understands lip aging and discuss your options.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implants to the Philtrum: Don't do it!

+1

My answer is neither.  If you want to have augmentation of the philtrum, consider a hyaluronic acid based filler like Juvederm or Restylane.  The mobility of this portion of the lip makes permanent implants less practical.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implants to the philtrum can have a dramatic effect on the upper lip

+1

Implants to the philtrum can have a dramatic effect on the upper lip. I have used both types of solid implants over the years and my preference for augmentation of the philtrum is goretex since it is softer and can be threaded into the two philtral crests augmenting that area with a small needle. I have published the technique many years ago and you could probably find it through google search engine. That being said most patients prefer a filler to augment that area especially since fillers can last from six months to a year in that area. I certainly would recommend a filler like Juvederm or Restylane to try first to make sure that you like the effect since they are temporary and even reversible. Then, if you do not want to continue with injections a perrmanent implant may be an option for you. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philtrum (upper lip) Augmentation?

+1

The Philtrum (aka infranasal depression), the continuously diverging columns separated by a gentle depression, between the nose and the mid upper lip, is a VERY important structure which imparts sensuality to the face and lip more than a mere lip augmentation.

In my opinion, throwing in an implant is a mistake. Not only because of the usual complication seen with implants (infection, scarring, palpability, rotation, warping and eventual exposure) but because an implant cannot perform the delicate task required/

When we augment the philtrum, we want to accentuate the PHILTRAL COLUMNS without flattening the depression between them. This is SO MUCH BETTER done with fillers and I do it on many of my lip augmentation with patients. The results are immediate, the down time is very short , the cost is much cheaper than an implant placement and the risk is much less, but most important. my patients are VERY pleased.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Gortex or silicone to Philtrum

+1

I for one would avoid any form of implant to this very delicate region with a high risk of poor cosmetic outcome.  Fillers are a good alternative with more predictable results in experienced hands.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Philtral lip lifts

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW:

This is not a commonly requested procedure and I am not sure that there are specific implants for this procedures. Lip lifts are commonly performed for this and gortex sutures are placed in "non-surgical lip lifts" but that is the majority of my knowledge in this regard.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.