How to Get Rid of Age Spot Without Scarring?

My dermatologist wants to use liquid nitrogen, but I've read that it can leave a white spot. A white spot is no better than a brown spot in my opinion. I have already had a biopsy and am waiting for the results.

The Dr (as am I) is pretty sure the biopsy will be negative. My Dr was not very informative on the different options. It is not a small spot, so recovery time is very important to me. I don't want to have an ugly scab for 4 weeks, nor do I want a permanent scar or white spot.

Getting Rid of Age Spots w/o Scarring?

+2

Hi laughwbec.  Unfortunately, more traditional dermatologists that do not use lasers seldom inform patients of the opportunity to remove pigmentation with them.  

You do not have to put up with scabbing, liquid nitrogen, a depression on the skin caused by the scab or a potential white scar.  What you might have to put up with is a small dent in your pocketbook.  While equipment such as q-switched Nd:Yg lasers can easily remove your age spots without scarring, they are generally not covered by insurance.  

Expect to have 2-4 treatments and do not accept alternatives like IPL, CO2 or Fraxel as they are inferior to q-switched lasers such as the Hoya Conbio Medlite C6 and the Palomar Q-Yag V.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/Celibreblog/post/2009/02/treating-the-aging-face-for-sun-spots.aspx

Treating Age Spots Without Scarring

+1

There are many methods to treat age spots successfully and many of them have scarring potential. Fortunately (or unfortunately), like most procedures, it is usually dependent upon the skill of the treating physician. In my office I may use lasers, liquid nitrogen, and topical medications to treat this problem, depending on the location and degree of pigmentation. By treating the area carefully, white spots and scarring are quite rare.

One of the safest and most effective ways to reverse numerous sunspots due to the effects of chronic sun damage to your skin is by using a combination of two prescription strength medications: 4% hydroquinone and tretinoin cream. Prescription strength 4% hydroquinone is better than any OTC product for lightening dark spots in the skin. These dark spots are typically due to chronic sun damage so daily use of sunscreens is essential in your treatment. Combining prescription-only tretinoin cream with hydroquinone will make it even more effective. I recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten age spots as well as the fine lines and wrinkles that are due to chronic sun exposure.

Some very nice before and after photographs of examples using these products can be seen by following the link below:

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/obagi-medical-systems/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.