Which Among Fraxel Lasers Works Best for Surgery Scars?

Which among Fraxel Restore, Fraxel Repair and Fraxel Repair "Lite" will give the best results for surgical scars?

Maybe neither! It depends on what type of surgical scar it is and where it is

+1

Each scar is different, so to ask which laser is taking out the part of medicine that is most important. Additionally, with the advent of people in this field who know very little other than how to write a check for an expensive laser (with payments that come every month), there is now an incentive for that person to sell you on a laser for something that might be just as easily be treated with time/waiting or a simple injection of a steroid.

In my office, I use this laser very rarely for scars from surgery on the face and it works quite nicely. It has to be performed within about 8 weeks of the surgery or the procedure is worthless, so if your surgery was a longer time ago than that, don't even consider it.

Also, make sure you go to a dermatologist or board certified cosmetic surgeon and hopefully one who is known for their ethics or you may have something done that is unnecessary and expensive. By the way, it usually costs about $300 to $900 depending on the area and preparation.

Good luck!

Omaha Dermatologist

Fraxel Laser for Surgical Scars

+1

Different areas of the body heal at different rates so it would depend where the scar is.

The face heals more quickly than other body areas and if your scar is located on your face you might want to "take the hit" and opt for the Fraxel Repair. You will have some downtime and you likely will not be able to completely remove the scar. I've had excellent results on isolated injury scars on the face with the Repair, but even with this laser, it takes more than one session.

For scars on the body I'd recommend the Fraxel Restore because the healing time and complication risk is much smaller. You will need more treatments since you are using a different laser.

I also assume you are referring to mature scars and not just redness left from a recent surgery. If the scar is new, the improvement will be better if it's treated earlier.

For scars that are not that noticeable except for redness, you could have treatment with a vascular laser to reduce the redness.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Restore

+1

In my experience, having performed over 1,000 restore treatments and with extensive experience with the repair, the restore is the better option. Though theoretically the repair can be done in only one treatment and would be equivalent to multiple restore treatments, sequential treatments of scars (surgical, burn, acne, stretch marks) with our hybrid restore protocol ends up with the best outcome. The recovery after each one is much easier and quicker.

Good luck!

Min S. Ahn, MD
Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restore and Repair work well

+1

The Repair will do in one session what 4-6 Restore treatments will do. I use fractional CO2 (I use Lumenis Total FX) when the patient can do the week of downtime. If they cannot, I recommend the series of Restore treatments. By having both lasers, I can let the patient choose which way they wish to go.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Fraxel Laser Treatment for Surgical Scars

+1

Hi Violeta,

It really depends on the surgical scar as all of the modalities are effective.

Both Fraxel restore and repair work well on improving scars. Fraxel restore requires a series of 4 to 6 or more treatments separated by at least 2 weeks. The recovery is much easier, but there are many more treatments than with repair. The results are not as dramatic as with repair.

With Fraxel repair, patients may require 1 to 3 or more treatments separated by 4 to 8 months (depending on how the healing goes) with a more aggressive treatment, and a one week recovery period.

Fraxel repair Lite works well and falls somewhere between restore and repair. It would require multiple treatments (4-6) with less recovery each time.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD