What is Fraxel Restore Really For?

I've read a lot of posts and answers from doctors about Fraxel (Restore and Repair). I'm planning on to have 3 Fraxel Restore sessions. I want to improve very superficial wrinkles (tiny glyphic wrinkles that appeared over night on my left cheek).

I'm thinking about Restore and not Repair because I'm young and I don't want anything extreme done. Is this the right way to go? I'm confused with all the types of lasers out there and I would like to know what kind of results can Fraxel restore bring. Also, how long do the results last?

Fraxel Re:store Laser for facial rejuvenation

+1

When the facial photodamage is not too severe, when there are fine lines, large pores, uneven brown spot discoloration, and when a patient does not have the downtime to spare with an ablative (destructive) laser resurfacing, Fraxel Re:store is indicated. It gives better results for textural change than a medium-depth chemical peel, and does not require wound care for several days as the chemical peel does. Fraxel also can significantly reduce melasma (diffuse brown pigmentation on the face) for many people, although in some it can be made worse, and acne scars have been seen to improve remarkably.

Fraxel: Restore vs Repair

+1

Great question:

The Fraxel Restore is a nonablative Erbium glass laser which is usually done in a series of 3 - 5 treatments by a nurse or esthetician. Because this is a nonablative laser the results are generally less impressive than what you would get with an ablative modality but there is also much less downtime. The Fraxel Restore is an excellent dermatologic laser and gives significant improvement in skin tone, texture, color, pore size, and quality. However, the effect on wrinkles and loose skin is minimal at best. It can improve fine lines around the eyes, crows feet, but will probably not improve deeper lines very much. I recommend the Restore for patients in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, who are looking to improve the appearance of their skin and as an excellent way to maintain their skin through the process of collagen remodeling.

The Fraxel Repair is a CO2 ablative laser and should be done by a trained physician. It is much more aggressive than the Restore with a much longer downtime but it has a significantly better effect on wrinkles and gravitational aging in the face. The Repair is generally a single treatment laser which can offset the multiple treatments required for the Restore. The Repair will do everything the Restore will do for your skin including improving deeper lines and wrinkles. I recommend the Repair to my patients in their 40s, 50s, and 60s who are looking for a powerful rejuvenating laser to improve deep lines and wrinkles and to tighten their skin.

John Burns, MD