Fraxel Laser to Repair Bit Lip?

I bit thru my bottom lip, and now have hard tissue inside the lip as well as a small indented scar on the outside (left side).

I hear Fraxel Laser can help with scars, but I hear a lot of negative feedback from people who have undergone the procedure for acne scars. Though this is not an acne scar, I am curious if I will have the same negative result.

I also hear injections are good, but only for a certain type of patient. What do you recommend?

Fraxel treatment of a scar on the lip

+1

The thickening or hardness of the inside of the lip may improve over one and a half years after the injury. Deep massage with your fingers may help, but a corticosteroid injection, or series of injections, can help significantly for most patients.

The exterior scar may not obtain enough improvement with just Fraxel, especially because it is located in the bearded skin which creates a different color contrast between the dark surrounding and light scar centrally. Surgical removal of the scar will hopefully replace the widened depressed scar with a finer crease which can then undergo Fraxel. There is no guarantee that the scar won't look the same or worse after surgical revision. See a physician who is experienced at scar revision and laser resurfacing for an evaluation. Good luck.

First, get intralesional steroid injection

+1

This will reduce the lump. I have had good results with both Fraxel Restore (non-ablative) as well as Deep FX (ablative) for traumatic scars from bites, skin cancer surgery, as well as routine surgery for facelifts and abdominoplasty.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Lip Scar Repair; Scar Revison Plus Fraxel restore

+1

Hi J,

Fraxel restore heats scar tissue and stimulates collagen production to help smooth scars. Your scar looks like it could use a surgical scar revision followed by Fraxel restore laser treatments about 10 to 14 days after your revision sutures are removed.

This is an exception to the rule that most surgeons won't "take any lip" from their patients.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fraxel Laser cannot fill major indentations

+1

Fraxel Laser literally burns / shaves off small parts of skin to cause scar shrinkage and smooth sagging skin. It CANNOT fill in serious indentations.

In your case, the bite was either never fixed or fixed poorly. Since the outside skin edges were not sharply cut (to remove the beat up / contused edges caused by your tooth), as scarring set in it literally pulled the surfaces in.

The best result would be obtained with a minor scar revision by a Plastic Surgeon (see www.PlasticSurgery.org), in which the edges of the scar were cut off sharply and a few buried stitches were placed to EVERT (push out ) the wound edges. The resulting scar would be A LOT BETTER than anything else out there.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea