Does Fraxel Give Good Results for Removing Scar?

I got 1cm scar and acne scar. Does Fraxel give good result for removing scars? I'm 16 and I have yellow skin (Asian). I don't have any acne left but still have lots of scar and some redness on my cheek. If you can see, 1cm scar is on my right cheek. If Fraxel not works on my skin what type of laser should I do? Thank you very much.

Fraxel Re:store can improve acne scars

+1

There is a very good chance that you will get improvement in the texture of your skin from multiple Fraxel Re:store treatments.

This laser causes a build up the collagen underneath the epidermis and above the indentation of the acne scar. There is no need to stay at home and take care of your skin for a week or more as you would have to with invasive laser technology such as carbon dioxide laser, or the fractional carbon dioxide laser (Fraxel RE:pair). Furthermore, the more aggressive or invasive lasers have a higher risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. In other words, after you heal, a darkening of the skin can develop from the trauma of the laser and your bodies defense mechanisms. This darkening can look very dark and irregularly distributed. It can be extremely obvious to others and might be difficult to hide with normal makeup. You might need camouflage make up to hide the coloration. This can happen, too, with the Fraxel re:store but with less chance than with the more injurious lasers.

Fraxel Restore and Repair can dramatically reduce acne scars

+1

The scars on your face would respond well to either a series of 5 or more Fraxel re:store or 2 to 3 Fraxel re:pair laser treatments. The reason more than 1 Fraxel re:pair is being recommended is due to the risk of post laser hyperpigmentation due to your Asian background. Less aggressive treatments would be required to help prevent this.

This would therefore require two to three treatments to achieve the same results as one aggressive treatment with the Fraxel re:pair. It is for this reason that I would favor using the non invasive Fraxel re:store laser.

The risk of hyperpigmenation is less and there is no downtime. You will obtain equivalent results with both Fraxel lasers. I have both Fraxel re:store and re:pair so that I can customize my laser treatments for all skin types and patients unique needs.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 Laser Superior to Fraxel Restore for Acne Scar Revision

+1
Fraxel Restore is thought to be a better laser for pigmentation than for acne scar revision. If you are looking for a more impressive scar revision, you should consider Fractional CO2 such as ActiveFx, Mixto, Fraxel Repair, etc. Make sure you seek out a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has performed greater than 50 cases of your skin type and is prepared to review detailed pre-op and post-op skin care routine to minimize post-inflammatory pigmentation or redness.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser and Facial Scar in Asian Skin

+1

Hi Pom,

Fraxel restore and repair work well in the treatment of scars. Unfortunately, Asian skin is prone to Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation or darkening of your skin. Usually the hyperpigmentation fades with time, but you must be willing to put up with it until it fades.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Removing Acne Scars with Fraxel

+1

Acne scars can be improved using a variety of procedures, including laser, fractionated laser, subcision, acne surgery, dermabrasion, and topical creams.  The point of treatment is that scars can be qualitatively improved, but cannot altogether disappear.

New fractional co2 lasers work well to resurface these atrophic scars. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Management of scars with Fraxel

+1

There is nothing that wll eliminate the scar but a Fraxel treatment could soften the appearance of the scar. OF course there is a chance it could make it worse. Decide on what features bother you the most: the reddended color or the depressed area.

Different treatment plans can be designed to address your concerns.

Nothing "removes" scar, just "revises" them

+1

You cannot "remove" a scar as if it is gone, you can only treat them to try to make them less visible to the observer. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS