Surgery, Fraxel Laser, or Dermal Fillers for Hollowness Around Eyes?

I have fine wrinkles, small bags under my eyes, and dark circles that look hollow. Do I need to have surgey to fix it? Will Fraxel Laser or dermal fillers help?

Fraxel Laser, Surgery, or Dermal Fillers for Hollowness Around Those Aging Eyes

+2

Hi Cohagen,

Tough loss for those Sooners against Texas.

The hollows under the eyes respond best to fillers (Restylane). The fine lines, skin laxity, and minimal bags respond well to Fraxel repair laser. Unfortunately, there isn't a great solution for dark bags under the eyes, but taking care of the hollows will sometimes help as there is less shadowing.

It is difficult to let you know what would be best for you without examining you, or at least seeing some photos. The best treatment may be one or a combination of the treatments discussed above.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Multiple treatments for the lower lids

+1

There are multiple ways to treat the lower lids. First of all, I would advise you to forget the fine wrinkles. Nobody looking at you cares about them and you can never permanently get rid of them. The subtle bags and hollowing can be very nicely disguised by fillers like Juvederm or Restylane when done by an experienced physician. Sometimes lower lid surgery is necessary but don't expect as tight a result as you can mimic by pulling laterally with your finger.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Surgery and/or non-invasive procedures

+1

There is not one treatment that works for all your concerns, and there is not one treatment that works well for any one given condition in all patients. Some people do achieve benefit from fillers to raise the tear trough line under the eyelid and some of the wrinkles can improve. Dark circles might respond to laser resurfacing and others might respond to fillers. Some people do get improvement from fraxel laser for the wrinkles and dark circles, but dark circles are some of the most difficult cosmetic concerns to treat. Bags usually require surgical repositioning rather than lsaer resurfacing or injections.

Ronald Shelton, MD