Bleaching or Other Products to Heal Scar on Forehead?

I was punched in the top of my head. It was just above the eyebrow. I had to get eight stiches. That was about two months ago. It left a reddish pink scar.

I'm an Asian male with dark skin. I've tried two Laser Genesis treaments but it didn't work. I was recommended to use bleaching cream, I think it's called Tri-luma. Do you think bleaching cream will work?

Do you have any other advice that will help heal my scar? What kind of products to do you recommended? It just red, not raised, and it looks like the Harry Potter scar. Thanks!

Scar lightening and scar revision surgery + Melarase AM and Melarase PM

+2
Scar fading is an important part of scar therapy.  I ask my patients to use Melarase AM and Melarase PM for several months after injury to reduce hyperpigmentation.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

How to Reduce a Scar, Not Remove

+1

Scars are normally pink or red early after surgery or trauma. After several months, or years, most scars fade into a whiter and paler appearance.

Topical scar treatment is best avoided with chemical peels, retin-a, tca, lasers, or hydroquinone in the early phase of scar healing. These topical treatments more often aggravate the area and increase inflammation of the scar.

Topical silicone gel or plain petrolatum gel are better scar treatment options at this time. Eventually, a scar may need to be revised by a plastic surgeon.

Once a scar has matured, one had many more options such as chemical peels, retin-a, tca, lasers, hydroquinone, injectable fillers, etc. One has to wait several months before considering such therapy.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon determine the most appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early red scar

+1

All scard are red in their early healing and maturation phase.  Try to be patient with this, massage with emu oil, Vit E or Mederma, and don't tan the area.  Time is your best ally.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Consider Silicone gel

+1

The red is due to enhanced vascularity. There may be questionable benefit to eliminating the vacularity rather than letting it resolve on its own. Tri-luma is unlikely to eliminate or improve the redness, Many believe in the benefits of topical silicone therapy. There are many different versions of this product.