How to Flatten a Keloid Scar Caused by a Biopsy?

I have a scar now from a biopsy to check for Morphea (I have it). Do you know what I can use to help heal/flatten/reduce the visibility of the scar (keloid)?

Keloid Management and improving Bad Scars

+1

I use a regimented protocol for keloid and scar revision after biopsy, trauma, or surgery. The basic tenets of my scar management are recorded in an episode of The Doctors in which I describe keloid management. The basics involve digital manipulation, silicone sheeting, topical creams, TAC injection, and surgery.

Scar, keloid

+1

There are several different topicals you can use for a keloid or hypertrophic scar (thick scar). Kelo-cote is a clear silicone gel that takes several months to be effective, as does Mederma which is also a topical derived from onion extract. Both can be purchased over the counter without a prescription. There are also various types of silicone tapes which can be applied directly to the scar to help lighten and flatten the scar. Your physician may also need to do several steroid injections in the office to help prevent the scar from worsening.

Please consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon regarding your keloid.

William Bruno, MD

Keloid options

+1

Several options are available for keloid management:

1. Injection with dilute steroids (kenalog).

2. Use external silicone sheets.

3. Surgical revision with intra operative kenolog injection.

4. Radiation therapy is reserved for extreme cases and is not recommended except for very large reccurent keloids that are disfiguring or interfering with vision, hearing etc.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Scar post biopsy

+1

You do not say how long after the biopsy this scar is or where on the body it is. In general there are several options ranging from topical silicone gels (Kelocote, Mederma, Scar Fade, etc) to silicone sheeting with or without compression, to steroid injections with or without the others in combination. There is also a difference between an hypertrophic scar and a keloid so that may play a role as well in determining how to proceed. If your dermatologist does not know how to treat this then see a plastic surgeon who is usually well versed in scar treatments.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon