Fillers or Fat Injections for Upper Cheek Fat Loss?

I'm in my mid twenties, and I've lost some fat in my upper cheeks. Are fillers or fat injections the best option to replace volume in this area in younger patients? If so, what looks most natural?

Proceures for treating upper cheek hollowness

+2

Upper cheek hollowness can be treated with hyaluronic acid fillers, cheek implants, fat injection. In our practice we prefer fat fascial grafts (LiveFill(TM), fully alive untraumatized grafts from the patient's own tissues for the cheek area. LiveFill grafts are placed in precise pockets in the cheeks. They have a higher survival rate than fat injection grafts in our published studies.
Livefill has completely replaced cheek implants and fat injection in the cheeks in our practice.
Often, it is wise to start with hyaluronic acid fillers and make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page aesthetically before proceeding with a more permanent procedure.
It is wise also not to consider just the cheeks, but the eye cheek junction, the lower eyelid region, and facial aesthetics as a whole.

Juvederm is best for gaunt cheeks.

+1

Hi!

Since you are so young, I would recommend staying away from surgery such as fat injections.

Juvederm injections do a great job of filling up the cheeks, and the result can last a year.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Micro fat grafting, facial contouring, facial fillers

+1

Thank you for your Question!

Facial volume restoration and facial contouring can be done with fillers or micro fat injections. They are both safe and will give lasting results. The fillers may include Sculptra, Restylane, Radiesse, Perlane, Evolence. They are temporary results and will give you a good idea as to what can be achieved with micro fat grafting. They are done in the office and you may have some bruising up to 10 days.

The Micro Fat Grafting is sone in the operating room and gives permanent results. Bruising may be longer- up to 3 weeks. About 1/5 patients needs a small touch up at the 2 month mark.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Fillers for face

+1

There are many different kinds of facial fillers to fill out cheek depressions.  Hyaluronic acids like Juvederm and Restylane can help. Radiesse and Sculptra are also sometimes recommended.

Both are good options with positives and negatives

+1

Fillers used for the upper cheeks include radiesse, restylane, juvederm, perlane. These are temporary. Radiesse should only be used in the deeper planes of the cheek especially around the lower eyelids. The white appearance of radiesse can be seen through the thin skin of the eyelids if you are not careful and place it too superficial. The others are hyaluronic acids and they are clear looking and can be place almost anywhere. Because they are clear when they are injected into areas of thin skin, your skin can take on a translucent look and sometimes this can look like a very light bruise. They are fairly easy to put in and you can get relatively quick results but they are temporary lasting anywhere from 6 months to a year or more. Restylane lasts about 6-9mo, Juverderm maybe a little longer but it comes supplied with less material 8cc compared to 1.1cc of restylane. Radiesse lasts about a year sometimes more or less.

Fat injections however can last for many years. Usually, you can get approximately 60-90% of the fat to survive depending on how well you do the procedure. Because it is a living tissue technique is vital to insure survival of the fat. When carefully placed fat is the most naturally looking of all filling or volumizing type of procedures.

I refined a volumizing procedure called “the YoungLift”. This is an innovative technique that volumizes your face to bring out the younger and natural you without looking like you had something done. This is not a facelift and requires no incisions. Only pinpoint puncture sites are used and these heal imperceptibly. The YoungLift can be done without general anesthesia and without drains, and large bandages. You also have sometimes a lot less downtime and discomfort compared with traditional facelift procedures. I employ the very best techniques from around the world into one volumizing procedure and I use my internationally acclaimed understanding of facial beauty to create the youthful volume you once had.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic fillers first and then fat injections.

+1

I generally like to begin with hyaluronic fillers for two main reasons:

1. it allows me to adjust and determine the volume of fill desired. It can be done in the office with minimal downtime.
  2. if the patient is dissatisfied, it can be partially corrected with off label use of hyaluronidase.

Once the volume and location is established and the patient is satisfied, we set aside time to do the fat injections, if desired, for a longer term or larger volume correction.