Is Fat Transfer to the Breasts a Good Choice?

I am considering having the fat transfer to the breast procedure performed. I know someone who had this procedure and indeed her breasts did gain a little over a cup size and look great, however, the liposuction to harvest the fat left her lumpy, bumpy and with many scars. It is as though she sacrificed the rest of her body for the increase in breast volume. I want to look good naked, not just with clothes on, so is fat transfer to the breast a good choice for me?

Is Fat Transfer to breast a good choice for me?

+2

It really depends on each patient.  The ideal candidate has a little excess fat and desires an increase in bust size of about one cup.  It seems your friend had the surgery done by someone who may not have been highly skilled in liposuction.  This brings up a good point.  Not only should you make sure your surgeon is familiar with the techniques fat grafting, but also is skilled in liposuction.  Ideally you should get a two for one, not compromising one thing for the other.

F

+1
Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Fat grafting is a valuable tool in breast surgery. This technique has gained more popularity over the past 7 years. There are many techniques used to harvest the fat, process the fat and then re-inject the fat. Conventional suction lipectomy is performed with a small diameter cannula, processed by separating the liquid and fibrous tissue from the fat, and then placed into syringes for re-injection or through a closed system.

Fat Transfer, fat injections, micro fat transfer, Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question on Fat Transfer to enhance breast size and shape.

This is a newer procedure to North America. Many Surgeons doing breast reconstruction do this to enhance the breast shape. I have been performing fat transfer for breast augmentation, adding volume to correct rippling of breast implants, reconstruction and shaping of breast post lumpectomy, post irradiation, and to enhance size for 7 years. My experience has been very good and the increase in size on average is 1 cup. This procedure has many advantages- your own tissue, you can specifically contour the upper pole of the breast, it reverses the radiation damage and scarring, small incsions for fat placement, contouring of the body as well!

Of course the harvested areas should not have contour defornities. The radiologists can differentiate suspicious changes vs grafted fat. There are risks with all procedures and you have to decide whether the risk of this procedure is reasonable vs another procedure for shaping the breast.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Fat Transfer to the Breasts

+1

Until more studies are done about the efficacy, safetey and longevity of fat transfers to the breasts, I would recommend avoiding this approach. The unpredicatbility of improvement and symmetry as well as potential interference with mammographic diagnosis are important negatives, not to mention the potential risks at the donor site as you have seen. Go with a more predicatable and safe procedure of augmentation with either saline or silicone implants. Be sure to get a thorough consultation as to the potential risks of these procedure as well as the long term effects. And certainly see a board certified lastic surgeon.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Not recommended

+1

This is not a recommended procedure for many reasons.  One of the reasons, is that the fat tends to resorb, and another is that the fat can cause false positive results from mammograms.

Advantages and disadvantages of fat injection to the breasts for augmentation

+1

Possibly not. This is one of the risks of surgery and "harvesting" tissue from a donor site. Irregularities may occur. You may incur additional costs related to prolonged and possibly multiple procedures. This must be weighed against the risks of an implant. Discuss your concerns with a plastic surgeon.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.