Is Surgery for Fat Reduction on the Arms Safe for a Diabetic?

I weight 200 lbs now. Before I was 224 lbs am also diabetic. I have excessive fat in my arms. I would like to have surgery but am diabetic and am a real bad chicken. Help please.

Cosmetic surgery in diabetes

+2
First, I recommend that you achieve your desired weight prior to considering surgery. Second, that your diabetes be controlled and that your endocrinologist be willing to clear you for an elective procedure. Third, that you recognize that complications are higher in diabetics than in the general population. Your medical history is an essential consideration in the decision for surgery and whether a plastic surgeon will be comfortable operating on you.

Diabetes and surgery

+1

Diabetics definitely have a higher incidence of complications from surgery as compared to non-diabetics.  If you are well controlled, and get medical clearance, you certainly can have the procedure performed.

Fat Reduction for a Diabetic

+1

The best time to do liposuction is when you are at a normal weight. To remove fat from your arms you can do this by excision, brachioplasty, or liposuction. As a diabetic you should be able to heal and have reasonable risks if you keep your glucose under control. The other issue has to do with your over all fitness level. If you are active and capable of normal daily work you should be able to tolerate the procedure.

Any surgeon should look at your health history and discuss with you what your risks and concerns are so you can make an informed decision.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon