Facelift to Reduce Appearance of Facial Scars?

I am 30 years old, 15 years ago I had terrible accident hence post-surgery scars on my face. My main aim is to make these scars look smaller.

The last two last pics posted in my review show me stretching my scar with my fingers. It looks more even and less visible then normally, therefore I thought that perhaps facelift done specifically for this purpose would be good idea?

Full details and photos are located in my review (link below).

Facelift not for scars

+1

Face lifts will not help your scars. I would look to other non-invasive methods first. The basis of a facelift is not pulling the skin rather it is repositioning of tissues under the skin and then re-draping the skin over the more youthful understructure. In some patients neck liposuction, fat grafting and other procedures to the eyes or forehead are done concurrently. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to get a detailed exam and treatment plan. Most have complimentary or low cost consultations.

A facelift to imporve facial scars

+1

the ability to pull the skin tightly with your fingers is greater than the ability of a facelift to achieve the same effect on the scars. Although a skin only facelift might leave the scars less visible for a relatively short period of time, as time passes and the skin relaxes, the scars will be evident once again, except now you will also have the facelift scars. I cannot recommend a facelift in your case.

Julio Garcia, MD

Face Scars and Facelifts

+1

Facelifts do not improve acne scars or scars within the face.  Facelifts are designed to reposition the deeper tissues of the face and neck.  

Early on in the recovery period of a facelift, it will appear that the facial (acne) scars are minimized.  This is most likely from swelling.  Long term follow up will ensure that the scars are still present and have not changed.

Seek opinion from an expert in facial scars  or acne scars. 

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fcaelift may help scars in 20 years after aging

+1

You are young and have very little facial laxity. The best treatment for your scars in Non-ablative Erbium laser resurfacing as I mentioned in another article.

When you are in your 50's if your face becomes lax and the lax skin caused the scars to have a dark shadow, then the facelift may reduce the shadows by tightening the skin.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Surgery is not the way to correct this.

+1

See a good, experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist to evaluate your options. I think you would be very disappointed with the results of a facelift . 

Face lift for facial scars

+1

I have had occasion to perform a facelift for improvement in acne scars and I would estimate that it achieved a 50% improvement. Fat injection also seems to be a beneficial procedure. However, traumatic lacerations may not necessarily respond to a face lift procedure and may respond better to direct or local treatment

Facial Scars; surgery or laser

+1

In your case the pictures were extremely helpful.

The most noticeable scar is the left nasolabial groove scar. The vertical scar on left upper lip and horizontal scar on the right upper lip are not as bad.

Solution:

1. Direct skin excision within in the left nasolabial groove, everting skin edges, six weeks later dermabrasion.

2. Direct excision of the right upper lip horizontal scar and the vertical scar on left upper lip. Six weeks later dermabrasion.

Here is an alternative to #2 choice; get the scars tattooed by a professional nurse tattooing artist the same color as the skin.

Take a look at the link below. Someone with bad forehead scar. This is after scar excision and dermabrasion

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift not for Scar Revision

+1

Sorry about your accident. Scars are best treated directly. Facelift will improve the shape of your face and is best for someone who is aging. While facelift does tighten skin somewhat, this will only be temporary and relax in the first few months. The direction and location of the "pull" in a facelift are from the ears. This is too far away to have any effect on the skin of your lips. I think you can improve the scars with direct scar revision. This would require a closer examination in person and a review of the options.

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Facelift ineffective for facial scar improvement

+1

The facelift operation achieves facial rejuvenation by repositioning tissues deep to the skin into their more youthful position, and unfortunately would not have the effect you desire. Yes, some skin is removed that can produce a temporary tightening effect akin to what you see when you tug on your face, but this is temporary and not a long term effect.

Treatment of your scarring is probably best achieved with the modern regimen called 'scar revision' which includes re-excision, injectables, dermabrasion, and perhaps laser resurfacing as a finishing touch. I'd also recommend spending time with a medical aesthetician who is trained in medical makeup to make the going easier for you while this treatment process is underway. Good luck!

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring on face

+1

Scarring on the face can be approached throught several means. SOmetimes a simple scar revision can be performed. If there is a pigment issue lighter/darker, lasers can sometimes help but also tattooing for hypopigmented areas.  WIthout a physical exam, it is difficult to say specifically.