Eyelid Surgery Lower Than Western Prices?

Where in the world would you have blepharoplasty for dark circles if you were seeking surgery at less than western prices? Where would you go, say in India, South Korea Malaysia or Singapore?

Eyelid Surgery outside the country

+1

There are skilled surgeons throughout the world.  However, you need to ensure that they have a good reputation and a safe history.  The only concerns is that you will not be able to properly prepare for surgery or have appropriate postoperative care if you rush in and out of the country.

Surgery elsewhere in the world

+1

Studies have shown that surgery elsewhere in the world is less regulated than in the US, UK, Australia, Canada. As a result you will have to do much more research to make sure that the person doing the surgery is well trained, competent, and has good results. Plus if something happens you will be left out there. For this sort of thing, I would not experiment.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery will not help dark circles

+1

A blepharoplasty is performed for puffiness on the lower lids, not dark circles. Dark circles are from pigmentation of the skin and do not go away with cosmetic surgery. Makeup can be applied to cover the dark circles. Make sure that allergies are under control and maintain a low-salt diet to prevent fluid retention in the lower lids.

Plastic Surgery

+1

Eyelid surgery for just black circles under the eyes is not successful unless the dark area is secondary to the shadowing caused by the fat protrusion.

Second: you should find a well trained and qualified plastic surgeon in the UK or where ever you live. Price shopping for cosmetic surgery will back fire and cost you more in the long run in cost and hearthache.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Blepharoplasty not a good option for dark circles

+1

Eyelid surgery is generally ineffective in treating dark circles unless the color change is secondary to shadowing from excessive fat. Your best bet is to see a qualified plastic surgeon for an examination.

Pick the surgeon first. Quality almost always costs more and gives you more return for your money. By shopping for price, you are increasing the potential for unnecessary surgery or a less desirable result. Don't sell yourself short.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Medical tourism

+1

Dear Beautifulday

I wouldn't! That is not to say there are not very good plastic surgeons around the world but what are you going to do if you have a problem a month out. Are you willing to pay 500.00 dollars just to see aplastic surgeon in the UK for a consult or pay the costs to fly back to Korea or Thailand for follow up care.
When patients ask me about this and money is the issue, I recommend going to one of the major residency teaching programs in PLastic Surgery at a university. There they can have surgery by the doctors in training for plastic surgery under the direct supervision of an established plastic surgeon. That surgery may have cost you 7000 to $8000.00 if you were to see the private doctor in his/her office.
Good luck on your hunt.
Steven Schuster MD FACS

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon