Enough Downtime for Breast Lift, Implant and Liposuction?

I am having Breast Lift with Breast Implants and Liposuction in 4 areas (abdomen and legs) next Friday. My questions is will I be ready to return to work in 4 days?

Recovery Time after Breast Surgery and Liposuction?

+1

You will receive the most accurate diction of recovery time from your plastic surgeon who knows you and the operation plans much better than any online consultant can.

Generally, I would suggest at least 7 to 10 days off work ( assuming a “non-strenuous” occupation) after the operations you have planned.

Return to work after surgery

+1

If you were just doing liposuction, I would say probably yes. But if you are doing a lift and implants, you may need some more time.

Returning to work after cosmetic surgery

+1

No, you will not be able to return to work in 4 days. The areas that will be liposuctioned will be sore but your breasts will be worse. If you can plan on working at home or part time it will be easier for you to get back to work. If you are planning on working 8 hurs day plus the commute it is way too much. The more activity you do the more you swell and the more uncomfortable you feel.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for Breast Lift, Implant, and Liposuction

+1

People tend to underestimate how much time they need to heal. Even when I have a patient who feels great after surgery, your body needs time. If you do too much too fast, you will swell and have increased pain and bruising.

Your surgery:

A breast lift does not hurt much (seems like it should, but it doesn't). The implants though, if placed under the muscle, will hurt. Usually, the pain is strong for the first 2-3 days, but my patients are usually on some form of medication for the first week. You can't drive while on pain medication or in while in pain (it will affect your reaction times, etc.)

Liposuction recovery varies. The more you remove, the more areas you do, the more you bruise are all related to how long you will take to recover. Going to work is more activity than you realize. I have had patients who were healing well and went back to work too soon, and had a rebound of increased pain and swelling.

After surgery, really take it easy. Elevate your chest to decrease swelling. Wear your garments for liposuction. Stay off your feet as much as possible, and elevate your legs when you can. I put my patients on an herbal regimen which I feel helps as well.

SO, overall--4 days seems too aggressive. Plan for a solid week to week and a half. If you have the ability to work from home, you could likely do that around 4 days out.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

More than 4 day recovery for Breast lift, implants and liposuction

+1

This seems like a very optimistic expectation for your post-operative recovery. In my opinion, I would recommend that you plan more time off. I would ask the plastic surgoen with whom you have consulted to determine if this is a reasonable timeline.