Can Duac and Botox Be Used at the Same Time?

I've been using Duac for acne on my back, and I'm now considering Botox. I read that Clindamycin and Botox shouldn't be used together. Does this only apply to oral antibiotics or to topical as well?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Botox can be used

+1

Botox really has not been shown to be unsafe in combination with anything. It is not for pregnant patients ( nor is anything else!) or people with certain neuromuscular conditions.

Feel comfortable because it is a safe drug when used by a competent, board certified physician.

Washington DC Dermatologist

Not Really A Worry

+2

I really can not see this being much of a problem.

First, the amount of Clincamycin absorbed through the skin would not be that significant. When topical clindamycin first came out ( Cleocin, Upjohn), we did fear pseudomembranous colitis. Some of us were reluctant to use it on larger areas such as the back. The development of this problem in a patient at the time, stirred up a fair amount of anxiety. However, this problem has not been borne out and while, certainly we might watch for it, in everyday practice this has not been much of a concern.

Any problem with Botox would be even less. It is not contradindicated to use Botox and Oral Clincamycin ( a lincosamide) or aminoglycosides. One might be cautious, since this group of drugs does interfere somewhat with neuromuscular transmission. But the two may be used together if your physician feels it would not be a problem. Caution would be most appropriate if one is using large doses of Botox.

I see no problem at all if using a topical containing Clindamycin in the usual cosmetic dosages of Botox.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Duac and Botox Can Be Used Together

+1

The risk of interaction between Duac and Botox is relatively low. Caution is advised if you are using Botox in high doses like in Cerebral Palsy patients with muscle contractures etc. If you are getting the Botox in small doses for aesthetic purposes, then it is pretty safe.

Regards

Web reference: http://janjuafacialsurgery.com/botox.htm

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and topical Duac

+1

I am not aware of any problem using Duac and Botox in the same patient in different areas of the body. I have not heard of any problem with this and the only potential issue might be using Duac in exactly the same place, ie the forehead, immediately prior to Botox injection- I wouldnt recommend this but not sure that anyone does this anyways nor do I see a reason for it.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.