What Could Be Causing Dry, Flaky Skin with Oily Areas?

Hi, I have a bad skin condition on my face. My skin is dry and a little flaky yet at the same time it gets oily on top. I have a lot of redness (maybe from past acne) but I still get spots.

Most of the time, my skin seems hollow and in very bad health. It is sometimes a little yellow or brown. When I get stressed out, my skin becomes very hollow and everything flares up a lot. I suffer from a lot of anxiety due to this. Please help me figure out my skin condition. I really need help.

Dry flaky skin with oily skin

+1

One of the most common conditions that involves flaking skin with an oily complexion is seborrheic dermatitis, or seborrhea. This often occurs between the eyebrows, in the smile creases, in the sideburns, bearded chin and around the ears. It can also occur on the breast bone and between the shoulder blades. It is treated, not cured, by the use of mild corticosteroid creams or antifungal creams although it is not an infection, there seems to be a correlation with an abundance of normal yeast that occurs on our skin.

Atopic dermatitis or eczema does not occur commonly with oily skin and there is a burning or stinging that is noticed and itching with this disease that is not present usually with seborrheic dermatitis. Of course there are other diseases that might present with flaking skin and you should be evaluated by a dermatologist.

Dry and Oily Skin

+1

Dry, flaky skin that can also be oily probably has more going on than just the obvious. Often this is eczema or atopic dermatitis. This is a fairly common problem. Treatment consists of various ointments. The website below is nicely informative. However, you'll need to find a Dermatologist who only does skin conditions (most of them just want to do cosmetics) to get an accurate diagnosis.

Web reference: http://www.athealth.com/consumer/disorders/eczema.html

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon