Can Doxycycline Ointment Be Used with Proactiv for Acne?

My doctor has prescribed a Doxycycline ointment for my acne. Can I use this ointment with Proactiv?

Doxycycline ointment is a flash from the past

+1

This was a flash in the past for me. Meclan cream, which was similar to topical Doxycline was, I believe, one of the first topical antibiotics to come to market sometime in the late 1970's. It is no longer available in our country. It was made by Ortho if I can recall.

Another topical medication called Topicycline came out around the same time. This was a roll on product made by Proctor and Gamble. It came out when the disco era was in full swing and its users would glow under the strobe lights at the disco.

Benzoyl Peroxide can inactivate some products so I would use the Pro-Activ in the morning say and the Doxycycline ointment at night just to be sure. There is no harm, but using them at the same time may subtract from its effectiveness.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Doxycycline for acne

+1

Doxcycline can be used in conjunction with topical agents such as benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid (in Proactiv). I would, however, avoid using doxycycline in the antibiotic doses (100-200 mg daily) for longer than 2-3 months, to avoid bacterial resistance issues and decreased effectiveness over time.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Doxycycline for Acne

+1

If you are using Proactive, then you are basically using benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid topically. So, you may use Doxycyline in conjunction with this approach. Doxycycline is used orally and most effective when used this way. If Proactive is not effective consider switching to The Pimple Clinic products that utilized antioxidants , botanicals and phytonutrients combined with benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon