Will Double Bubble Breast Implants Correct Themselves with Time?

I am 4 weeks post-op from a revision for bilateral grade IV capsular contracture, during which I went from 315cc saline HP unders to 350cc mod+ silicone with the same placement. The double bubble became visible within the first week and I've only noticed minimal improvement. While I'd be heartbroken if additional surgery is required, I don't want to wait things out with less than satisfactory results for too long. Should I give it past the 6 month mark to smooth out?

Double Bubble Breast Implants Require Surgical Revision

+4

Thank you for your email. The Double Bubble Breast Implant deformity requires surgical reconstruction of the Inframammary Crease. However, 4-6 weeks is too early to have the surgery. Most Plastic Surgeons I know would wait 6 months to do the correction.

This correction can usually create a very nice result. Good luck

Double bubble

+2

Dear Seashell

I think it is far too soon to tell. You are concerned so speak to your surgeon about your concerns. There are several causes of the double bubble including a crease that is lowered beyond the crease and also tuberous breast deformity. I certainly would not go in now as this is the worst time in terms of the healing process so be patient, talk to you surgeon and at least wait out the 3-6 months it takes to settle down.

Good luck

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Too early to know, breast implant results may improve on their own

+2

There can be a residual tight band of skin along the lower portion of the breast following your revision that is causing the double bubble appearance. Often times this will slowly stretch and improve during the first few months. At 4 weeks it is just too soon to tell. You really need to allow up to 6 months to see the final appearance. That would be the best time to look at the appearance and determine if anything more needs to be done. Hope this helps.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Can Double Bubble Breast Implants Correct Themselves?

+1

Hi, seashell415,

The answer to your question depends both upon the cause of your "Double Bubble" (there may be several causes) and the type of surgery that was performed in an effort to correct your Grade IV capsular problem.

If your nipple position is normal and if your surgeon was able to adequately remove the capsules (as well as release any scar tissue holding the implants too high within your breasts), then there is a good chance additional time will permit the implants to gradually descent into proper position. This may require several more months of healing, but it will solve the problem.

On the other hand, if the capsules and internal scar tissue were not fully addressed, or if you have an unrecognized overlying problem of breast ptosis (which would require a breast lift), it's likely additional surgery will be necessary to provide the result you're hoping to achieve.

For now, patience is the best advice... Revision, if it does become the best choice, should be delayed for 6 months or longer.

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble breast deformity after implant placement

+1

A double bubble deformity is the situation when the fullness of the implant is present superiorly and the mound of the natural breast appears to "fall off" the implant inferiorly, creating 2 areas of apparent breast, thus the "double bubble".   It can occur over time, for example, if an implant is placed when a breast is more youthful, the effects of aging, gravity, loss of elasticity, weight fluctuations, pregnancy and hormonal changes may allow for the natural breast to "fall off" the mound of the implant. The second scenario can happen during surgery, such as what has happened in this case:  the implants were placed too high, not at the level of the breast fold, giving the illusion of a "double bubble".  Some surgeons do this on purpose, and they expect gravity and the weight of the implants will cause descent of the implants.  Sometimes they will have their patient wear a garment, like a velcro strapped band placed above the breasts, in order to press the implants downward. The farther out from the surgery, the less likelihood there is that this descent will occur. There is not a "magic" time period that this will occur, but I would expect the surgeon to recommend waiting at least 3 months before suggesting surgical correction. If there is improvement during that time, it may be appropriate to wait up to the 6 month post op time frame, but certainly, if there is no improvement by that time, "tincture of time" will not be of benefit and surgery is the appropriate corrective measure.

Jana K. Rasmussen, MD

Double bubble

+1

Sometimes if you notice early signs of a double bubble, you can reinforce the fold and it will be better.  In general, double bubbles do  not improve.

+1

Depending on the cause of the double bubble, in some instances such as tuberous breasts, I have seen improvement with time. But in the case of your descriiption, unless radial relaxing incsions were performed, it is difficult to prognosticate.

Evaluate a Double Bubble Months After Surgery

+1

There are multiple reasons for a double bubble....

• Inframammary crease too high relative to the implant
    • tuberous breast deformities
    • short distances between the areola and the fold
  • The implant too low relative to the crease
    • poor surgical positioning of the implant
    • implant too large for your chest wall
  • Residual scarring
    • incomplete capsulectomy
    • new scarring from the other surgery

Regardless, I don't call anything a double bubble until the tissues have settled and started to heal. It is far too early to make any conclusions. Return to your physician, mention your concerns, and develop a plan that is satisfactory to you both.

Michael C. Pickart, MD
Ventura Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble deformity

+1

The double-bubble deformity occurs when your tissues try to stay in a different location from your infra-mammary fold. This may get a little better with time, but it is really too soon to tell if you'll need additional surgery since the tissue need to settle and your swelling needs to resolve. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about your concerns. Capsular contracture is a very challenging problem for both the patient and surgeon, and I hope that you are at least more comfortable. All the best, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Double Bubble Problem

+1

A double bubble can be due to many reasons, some of which have been highlighted in previous posts. I would recommend you visit with your surgeon to communicate your concerns.

One of the common reasons why a double bubble may manifest following removal of scar tissue (capsulectomy) from your procedure is possible violation of the inframammary crease. Another reason would be a "band" manifesting in the lower pole of the breast. This can be due to scar tissue or residual capsule formation.

Regardless, I recommend you visit with your surgeon who is familiar with your case and he/she will make the best recommendations.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS