Dorsal Hump Removal Safe for African American with Lupus?

I have a small dorsal hump that I want removed. I happen to be african american and also have lupus. I want to know if the surgery safe, will I have scar tissue?

Lupus contraindication for Surgery

+3

Thanks for the question.

Assuming there is no underlying surgical contra-indications from other predisposing medical conditions and your lupus is well controlled, the presence of lupus anticoagulant, when unassociated with other hemostatic defects, is not a contraindication for surgery. I would recommend you get medical clearance from the physician that is overseeing your lupus prior to any surgical procedures.

Regarding the "scar tissue" question, any time you undergo a surgical procedure, there will be "scar tissue". That is a normal and expect part of the healing process. Having said that, a small dorsal hump should be addressable with a rhinoplasty. Early in the post-operative period, you can expect the nose to feel "woody" and firm secondary to swelling and scarring. This will resolve over time (typically 12-18 months). The woodiness will assume a more natural feel once scar tissue remodeling has reached a steady state.

Dorsal hump removal in an African Amercan with Lupus

+2

Lupus is a chronic autoimmune medical condition. Discoid lupus and Subcutaneous lupus are two manifestations. Lupus can causes characteristic changes in the skin including the face. A butterfly malar rash may occur. There may also be systemic symtoms such as joint pain and arthritis.

There is a risk with any surgical procedure if the skin overlying this region becomes involved with lupus, that it could break down. Any surgical procedure carries the risk of local infection.

In order to determine the safety of dorsal hump removal a surgical consultation including input from the medical specialist handling the Lupus and an evaluation of the skin soft tissue envelope, and extent of surgery needs to be undertaken. Only after consensus is achieved would a determination of the safety and risk/benefit ratio be achieved.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon