Does the Acculift Replace the Need for Fillers?

We're working on a blog post about a new laser treatment called Acculift (as described in this article). Can you offer us feedback on:

• Is the Acculift a breakthrough procedure?
  • Does it replace the need (or reduce it) for cosmetic fillers?
  • Have you tried Acculift or witnessed a demonstration? 

Acculift is very effective at improving nasolabial folds, jowls and the submental area

+3

I have been extremely impressed with the Acculift procedure and it definitely can reduce the need for fillers in the future.  It also is a minimally invasive procedure with little downtime.  My patients have been overwhelmingly pleased with the results.

Acculift

+1

I am unaware of any mainstream procedure named an Acculift or one that is performed by many board certified plastic surgeons.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Acculift and other Gimmicks - Too Good To Be True Often the Case

+1

No the Acculift does not replace the need for fillers or face lifting procedures. It is NOT a breakthrough procedure, rather using existing technology a small amount of local anesthesia to numb the treatment areas followed by 1 to 2 mm openings. Through these  openings, a  laser removes fat  (laser lipolysis - several companies offer machines that do this) and there is some limited  tightening of the skin due in part to heat generated. Unfortunately as we age we loose fat which is why Fillers are so popular. Why would you want to remove fat unless it was required??

Does it replace the need (or reduce it) for cosmetic fillers? - no it reduces volume does not replace it. I would think at best this technology would be used as an adjunct to existing techniques and that there is probably independent risk in using this technique.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Laser lipo, does it work?

+1

Laser melts fat, so does ultrasound. Since 1996 when ultrasound lipo came along we have seen MANY companies come with this and that newest and greatest laser lipo apparatus that tightens skin. Don't believe it.

The American Society of Plastic Surgery has looked at the issue. The veredict is: no evidence of lasting skin tightening. As far as painless goes, it causes more pain because it also melts the fat in the cells that protect nerve fibers (Scwann cells).

Take it from somebody who has been there, done that, and defended other surgeons in lawsuits involving laser lipo. If it was so good, everybody would be doing it.

Check out the video below on the different mechanisms of suction lipo vs heat energy lipo, it may help you understand some of the issues.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

No, I believe that in the long term it would cause hollowness and a need for more filling

+1

The concept behind AccuLift is to melt the fat under the skin and cause some tightening of the skin. In my opinion the results are similar to liposuction and there are not enough long term results present.

I am very worried about melting the fat with Acculift and the inevitable hollowness that ensues in the long term. Please make sure you check for long term results beyond 9 months after the procedure

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably marginal benefit from Acculift

+1

There is no way to significantly shrink skin. If it is a sizeable component of the problem, laser treatment will have marginal results.

Medical lasers convert light into heat-period. The head "cooks" the target tissue. It is a form of thermal injury (a burn). I am very skeptical about this form of treatment for facial aging. Destroying fat, rather than repositioning it seems a poor alternative to safe and effective surgery.

I have not witnessed this particular laser, but I have seen many others. They do not produce the results that the sales force would have you believe. Buyer beware!