Does Pelleve Work for Skin Tightening Without Surgery?

Has any doctor tried or heard much about the Pelleve Wrinkle Treatment system? I saw that it was approved by the FDA in May 09. I'm guessing it's a radiofrequency device. Thank you.

Pelleve Skin Tightening is Non Surgical and Effective

+3

As a Cosmetic Oculofacial (Speciaizing in Eyelid and Facelift Surgery) Plastic Surgeon practicing for 15 years with offices in Manhattan's Upper Eastside, I am very cautious of the claims of any "non surgical" or "non invasive" skin tightening procedures due to limited and unpredictable results I've seen in the field. I have been using Pelleve for skin tightening in my practice for several months to improve skin wrinkles and for skin tightening with limited lifting (for people who are not ready for a facelift or who have had a facelift but are not quite ready for another one). In my practice, I have been using it for both face and neck improvement. The patients are comfortable during this treatment and have essentially no downtime. The treatments are done 4-6 weeks apart and usually consist of 2-3 treatments. Most patients see and feel the skin tightening results almost immediately after the procedure.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Pelleve definitely contributes to skin tightening

+2
Pelleve can help the right candidate obtain skin tightening without surgery. Yes you are correct, it is radiofrequency. The dermal response to heat, from the radiofrequency, is to produce more collagen which over time helps tighten the dermis/skin.  It is not a facelift substitute. It helps refreshen the face and usually is done as a series of several treatments a few weeks apart
An elderly patient with terribly sun-damaged facial skin is not a good candidate as there is a loss of elasticity and this skin will not tighten as much as we would like.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD