Does Loreal Wrinkle Filler Really Work?

Loreal sells a product called "Loreal Wrinkle Decrease Collagen Filler Wrinkle Reducer" that claims to smooth out creases and wrinkles. Have you seen results or studies that suggest Loreal wrinkle filler works as well as other products like Restylane or Juvederm?

??As Good As Restylane and Juvederm for Wrinkles

+2

I am unaware of any studies comparing Juvederm/Restylane to L'Oreal's Wrinkle De-Crease Collagen Filler Wrinkle Reducer. There would not need to be. My son's junior high school football team would not need to play the Pittsburgh Steelers for me to know what would happen if they met on the football field.

Claims by cosmetic companies that collagen, adroitly placed into creams, can reduce wrinkles has been around since my residency days, before many of those thinking up those ads were born. It just does not work. Collagen placed on the skin cannot slip through our very effective skin barrier.

This is not a bad moisturizer. I saw the ingredient list and like its formulation. But as a wrinkle fighter it has its limitations. One of its main ingredients, Boswellia ( Indian frankincense), is a good anti-inflammatory agent. Orally, it has fared well in treating ulcerative colitis and asthma. Clinical trials have deemed it less successful in treating arthritis. A recent study ( Cancer Research July 2009) showed it useful in combating prostate cancer. As a 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor it may be of benefit for psoriasis but I have not found any studies in our literature showing this. Nor have I found studies of its use in treating wrinkles, except for one study that showed reduced destruction of glycosaminoglycans ( a component of the ground substance in the dermis) in mice given this orally. Not that it might not ( its anti-inflammatory effect can be beneficial) but I could not find such studies . L'Oreal probably does have them on file.

By the way, it does not decrease collagen as your appellation mistakenly suggests. L'Oreal named it De-Crease: visualize my Mom ironing out my shirts. This product simply does not INcrease collagen.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist