Do I Need a Full Breast Lift?

I want to get breast implants, nothing to big but maybe a full c cup right now i am a b cup. I was told i need a full breat lift. Is this my only option?

Breast Lift for Symmetry

+2

Your photo shows a difference in nipple position and orientation: the right nipple appears lower and pointing downward.

It is tempting to consider a limited incision left for the right nipple-areola complex, such as the "crescent" mastopexy.

My experience, however is that this very limited approach in combination with breast implants would not produce a nice result.

A "full" lift gives your surgeon maximal control of breast shape and position to achieve symmetry and a gratifying aesthetic result.  The effort is well worth it.

Which is really best for you would best be answered at consultation where your goals and preferences could be discussed and a proper examination would reveal the best options.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

No one "needs" a Breast Lift

+2

You need to decide what kind of result is adequate for you. Without a breast lift of some kind, you will have two very different looking breasts. Focus upon what your goal might be and the choice of a lift and it's type will be easier to figure.

Does the scarring of a full lift concern you? Then look into reduced scar lifts understanding that they correct the difference between your breasts to a lesser degree. That is the trade off for less prominent scars in some cases.

Have a good long talk with your surgeon on this one before having any surgery.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+2

As mentioned by my colleagues earlier, you have marked breast asymmetry with mild constriction of the right breast. Simply putting in two breast implants would still leave your right breast droopy and asymmetrical. You clearly need a lifting procedure on the right breast. This can be done at the same time as the breast augmentation, but this becomes tricky and the chance of revisional surgery being required goes up. If you were my patient, I would recommend staging the procedure by first proceeding with breast augmentation followed by a lifting procedure on the right. Again, this is two operations but will increase the chances of having a better result. Unfortunately in your case, there is no easy answer. In the end, you'll have a great result but it'll take some time and effort. Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

Do I Need A Breast Lift

+2

Your pictures show marked breast asymmetry (different breast shape and size). As a result, a patient has to decide what kind of result they are looking for. The right breast has more ptosis or droopiness than the left breast.

A breast lift would give the best aesthetic results. Because the right breast is more droopy, a vertical mastopexy may be indicated. On the left breast, a donut or periareolar mastopexy may give excellent results. I have had patients who do not want extra scars on their breasts, and decide to just place implants. This increases the volume of each breast but more asymmetry will exist following the procedure. If a patient is willing to accept these differences, she will be pleased with the results.

Robert M. Wald, Jr., MD

Breast Implants With or Without a Lift

+1

hello Aricka--As other surgeons have noted, you do have some breast asymmetry. Additionally, the nipple complex is below the Inframammary Fold Line.  If you decide to have Breast Implants, you would need a Breast Lift, or Mastopexy. This can be achieved with a minimal amount of scarring by moving the nipple complex up. 

Ricardo L Rodriguez MD

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Do I Need a Full Breast Lift

+1

The answer to your question is dependent upon what you would consider an acceptable result to change and improve the appearance of your breasts.   Implants can sometimes raise the nipple areolar complex to provide an adequate result.  Other times a minimal mastopexy may be all that is needed. I would consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to look at all options.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast Lifting Options?

+1

I think you will have a very nice and result with breast augmentation and breast lifting surgery.

This operation will serve to increase the size of the breast to your liking and will undoubtedly improve the breast symmetry.

I would suggest that you do your due diligence and located a plastic surgeon with extensive experience. once you feel comparable with the plastic surgeons experience/skill/previous surgical outcomes  ask him/her to do what ever type of breast lift necessary to improve the breast asymmetry as much is possible.

Generally, breast lifting incisions range from around the areola, vertical breast incisions, and transverse incisions (“anchor”).  Again, exactly what would be necessary in your case will depend on careful direct physical examination. 

Most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do and the field of plastic surgery.

AUGMENTATION MASTOPEXY

+1

Looking at your photos, the most important clinical fact is the asymmetry. This means that there is the need to make a mastopexy. Mastopexy can be associated with augmentation mamoplasty. The aesthetic result of an augmentation mamoplasty alone, would be too poor.

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Sometimes ptotic (droopy) breasts can be fixed with implants alone.

+1

Not all droopy breasts require a breast lift if the patient wants larger breasts by way of implant.  This is a judgment call and needs to be worked out with the surgeon.  Occasionally, the patient is dissatisfied with the result but the breast lift can then be done by a secondary procedure.

There are several types of breast lifts.

+1

There are several main types of lifts with a few modifications of each. These are increasingly more invasive with greater scarring as you go down the list.

crescent (scar only above areola)

periareolar (circular scar all the way around areola)

vertical (also called lollipop because of circular scar around areola and vertically descending scar)

anchor (same as vertical scar PLUS a horizontal scar across the bottom)

Unfortunately it is not as easy as just deciding which one you want. The choice of which type is dependent upon how much of a lift you need, not how many scars you want.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon