Differin for Wrinkles

i am really disapointed with my results from expensive wrinkle creams and wonder if Differin would give me better results.  Better than Retin A?

Differin vs. OTC wrinkle creams

+3

Over the counter wrinkle creams usually contain retinol, which is converted in your skin to Retin-A (tretinoin).  Unfortunately, retinol is far less effective than tretinoin.  Retin-A has been out much longer than Differin and therefore has a more established and documented track record when treating wrinkles, freckles, crow's feet, etc.  Both should be effective, although I am not aware of any  head-to-head studies comparing the effectiveness of the two.  Differin is generally less irritating to the skin than Retin-A, though.  

Frisco Dermatologist

Probably Not Best For Wrinkles

+3

Differin ( Adapalene) is a bit different than its two Retinoid mates Tretinoin ( Retin A, Atralin, Avita, Tretin X,) and Tazarotene ( Tazarac, Avage). It is a third generation retinoid and its molecular structure differs from the other two.

All three of these reinoids activate retinoid receptors (RAR) in the skin, but which ones they activate varies. RAR-gamma and RAR-alpha are found in the epidermis. RAR-Beta is located in the dermis. Tretinoin activates all RAR pathways; Tazarac activates RAR-Beta and RAR-gamma; Differin activates only RAR-gamma.

Differin, is not a natural Retinoid like the others, but was designed by some pretty creative scientists at Galderma. This adaptation from the original retinoid molecule gave it increased specificity to maximize its anti-acne benefits and minimize its irritation. Most of my dermatology colleagues would agree with me that Differin is less irritating than its competitors. It also is more stable in the sun. ( By the way, dermatologists prescribe Retin A and Tazarac to be used at night not only to avoid possible redness from the sun, but also to prevent its breakdown and loss of potency.

There have been a satchel full of articles on the anti-aging properties of Tretinoin. While Tazaratene has been less studied in this regard, but the studies have all been positive. Taz does slow down the wrinkling process. However, although studies on Differin for wrinkling may be on-going they have not been published.

One could argue, that due to Differin's more gentle nature, it could be used if patients are irritated by Tazarac or Tretinoin ( even its more bland derivative Renova). However, if you are irritated by the other two, I would suggest you buy Retinol OTC. This would be less expensive and probably as effective as Differin. Roc and Oil of Olay make good Retinol products.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Differin 0.3% gel may be efficacious for fine lines

+1
Differin or adapalene, is one of the topical prescription strength retinoid available. All topical retinoid can smooth out skin texture, stimulate collagen production and help to minimize fine lines to varying degrees over time. There are more literature supporting the use of topical tretinoin (Retin-a) and tazoratene (Tazorac) for fine wrinkle reduction. If you were to use Differin, Differin 0.3% gel is most efficacious but should not be used more than 3x/week initially to prevent irritation.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Diffierin for wrinkles

+1

Differin (Adapalene) is in the retinoid (vitamin A) family, others of which have been demonstrated to improve facial wrinkles. My preference would be to use one better established for that purpose such as tretinoin or tazarotene. Another non- prescription option is to use OLAY ProX line of products which have been shown in a study to be as effective in treating wrinkles as the retinoids.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Differin is a retinoid

+1
Retinoids are known to improve the signs of skin aging. Differin is the only Rx retinoid not PROVEN to do so in clinical trials. It is a milder retinoid than Retin A and Tazorac for acne, so it is often better tolerated. But if I were going to use a retinoid for aging, I'd use the ones that have FDA approval and more clinical trials, so that would be Retin A and Tazorac.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Differen for wrinkles

+1

Differen is supposed to be a product similar to Retin-A. It is not indicated for the management of wrinkles and has not really been studied in this regard so I don't believe it is any more effective.

Dermatologists tend to prescribe this medication more freqeuntly and I look forward to their feedback.

Creams may help improve your skin texture, but they will not erase your wrinkles

+1
It is unlikely you'll get better results from Differing for your wrinkles. What kind of wrinkles are you trying to address? There is only so much expensive skin creams and topical treatments can do. Retin-A can improve your skin texture over time and help with fine lines. However, if you trying to address visible lines and wrinkles, you might need to up your ante and consider a fractional CO2 laser resurfacing, Botox and Juvederm or Restylane injections.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD