Developing a Dorsal Hump at Age 17?

How come I developed a dorsal hump at age 17? My nose is fine except for the hump and I'm really annoyed that I got it. I sometimes feel embarrassed by it.

Dorsal hump at age 17

+1

The dorsal hump at age 17 is usually a combination of both bone and cartilage growth that occurs at a junction between the top of the nasal bridge and the upper lateral cartilages. Repetitive nasal trauma worsens this dorsal hump. Sometimes it is just due to genetics. A very small hump can be rasped and smoothed down, but a large hump will require removal and narrowing of the nasal bones.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Correcting Hump on Bridge is Very Straightforward

+1

One of the most common reasons that patients seek rhinoplasty consultations is to learn about dorsal hump reduction.A dorsal hump is comprised of bone and cartilage. To remove the hump, the rhinoplasty surgeon files down the bone and trims the cartilage to the appropriate height to give the profile the desired contour. For an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, this is a very straightforward procedure.

Many people have slight bump or hump on the bridge of their nose. This is a normal anatomic variant that can appear aspeople reach their teenage years when the facial skeleton (and nose) completes its growth.

It is possible to correct one isolated problem -- such a a dorsal hump -- without having to change or disrupt other parts of the nose. The goal of any rhinoplasty is to produce a nose that looks natural and functions well.

To get a better understanding of what your nose would look like after surgery, your prospective rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to show you before and after computer simulations. Many rhinoplasty surgeons use computer imaging, and recently 3D rhinoplasty imaging has become available. This allows patients to preview how their nose might look after surgery from any angle

Web reference: http://rhinoplasty-usa.com/html/meet-dr-cochran.html

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

You got it genetically.

+1

It is very simple surgery to remove the bump. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to remove this and relieve you of your anxiety. But it will not solve social issues; it will only make you feel better about yourself.

Dorsal Hump

+1

Your nose will continue to change throughout your life. Just look at pictures of when you were a kid and compare them to now... do the same thing with your parents. Your body is constantly changing and your nose is no exception.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Developing your adult face.

+1

Virtually all children have a shallow nasal bridge, but as our face expresses its adult genetics some patients develop a hump. This is really no more unusual than the appearance of any adult feature: facial hair, a deeper voice, your final stature. At age 17, you're simply seeing the development of your adult face.

If the only problem with your nasal appearance is that of a dorsal hump, rhinoplasty may be able to reshape it quite nicely. I would argue, though, that there is no such thing as a truly "easy" rhinoplasty, but this is one of the more common problems we, as rhinoplasty surgeons, address.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

It can be fixed

+1

People's noses develop at different ages. Your bump can be removed. The age you got the bump is irrelevent and it can be fixed easily by an expert.

Dorsal Hump on Teenager

+1

The rate at which the nose grows is largest during the teenage years.

Rhinoplasty is common plastic surgery procedure for teenage boys and girls. The nose is relatively larger than the rest of the face during this time. Large noses may be due to a bump at the bridge, wide nasal tip, or droopy tip. Due to this facial imbalance or asymmetry, many teenagers pressure their parents for cosmetic surgery. Body parts that might appear too large or too small now can become more proportionate over time.

The nose continues to grow as we age, but the largest rate of nasal growth occurs during teen years. Generally, this rate slows greatly at age 16 for most girls, and 17 for most boys. As a result, most plastic surgeons wait until this age before considering rhinoplasty for teenagers.

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon