What Needs to Be Done to a Root Canal Crown That Has Come Loose?

The original crown/post has become loose. It stays in place for the most part but when I floss, it comes right out. What do I need to do?

See Your Dentist

+1

Most likely it’s not a big deal and the crown just needs to be recemented.  It’s usually a quick painless visit.  You should see your dentist to evaluate the tooth and recement it.  Don’t wait too long, because you risk losing or swallowing the crown.  Good Luck!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Loose crown

+1

What you need to do is see a dentist. A few years ago, one of my patients had a loose crown and continued to postpone having it recemented. He swallowed it during dinner one night and a $100 recementation became a $1000 new crown. These things do happen, so get it checked as soon as possible.

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Loose Crown - Visit your dentist immediately

+1

The loose crown may be OK and just need to be recemented. The tooth could be fractured or there may be decay requiring a new crown. Continuing to use it loose in your mouth may result in loss of the crown or lodging it in your airway - a much more serious problem.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

You need to have the tooth evaluated

+1

Usually when I hear a patient is coming in because their crown came off, my first thought is that part of the tooth will be in the crown. I then wonder if there is decay present. You may be able to save the tooth still, but the longer you wait, the more you risk exposing the tooth to bacteria that can cause the root canal to fail. I advise you to go have it evaluated.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Consider an implant

+1

As soon as a crown becomes loose, saliva and bacteria have gotten in. Within 24 hours of exposure, decay begins (which is why we recommend brushing twice per day). The fact that is has come loose means there is a good chance there is decay present now.

More concerning though is the likelihood of root fracture. Normally in situations such as this, the root has fractured and there is no way to restore it. The tooth should come out. At that point you are looking at a bridge or an implant, and usually the implant is the better choice.

At a minimum, a new post and crown need to be made. A more likely scenario is that the tooth needs removal and an implant should be placed.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist