Can I Get a Crown with a Veneer?

A crown with a veneer works well, but depends on what you mean

+3

If you are asking if you can put a veneer on a crown, and then cement that crown on your tooth, there would not be very many instances where that would happen. A veneer is like a crown that only covers one side of a tooth, usually the side of the tooth that people see when you smile. A veneer is all a lab would make if that is what your tooth was prepared for.

If you mean can you get a veneer placed on a crown that you already have in your mouth, the answer is yes, but you may not like the result. When applying a veneer onto an existing crown, the tooth becomes much more bulky, and your tooth may feel too big. This is why dentists reduce teeth to place veneers, so the veneers feel natural and blend in better. It would be more ideal to have a crown replaced than to have another restoration added to it.

If you are asking you can get a crown on one tooth and a veneer on the tooth next to it, then the answer is definitely yes. When doing restorations all at the same time with the same lab, then there is a better match.

West Des Moines Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns and Veneers Side by Side

+1

Crowns and Veneers can be done side by side without being able to  tell the difference.  Ideally this should be done using the same porcelain material  such as emax or Empress for both.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Yes, you can...

+1

Hi Shawn,

If you have a veneer we can take out the veneer and place a crown.

Thank you,

Dr. Barba

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

You may be asking for a crown and a veneer adjacent to each other.

+1

If that is the case, it is entirely possible and done every day. Patients desiring a smile make-over often have existing crowns. These can be replaced and the other teeth veneered to create a harmonious smile consistent with the patient's face and lips.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

1950's technology had this feature

+1

If you look at old text books, (or some retirement home tenants) you will find gold crowns that have a tooth colored material on the side of the crown that would be visible. This could be considered a crown with a veneer.

With modern technology, one gets either a crown or a veneer, depending on the situation.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns and Veneers can look exactly the same

+1

I always evaluate the tooth before I come to a conclusion about what it needs. If a tooth needs protection I would do a crown for it, but if it is structurally sound, I would forego removing tooth unnecessarily and plan on doing a veneer. A good cosmetic dentist can make a crown or a veneer match an adjacent tooth or make a crown match an adjacent veneer.

I am quite conservative when it comes to removing tooth so I would always do what is best for the tooth. Some not do veneers because they prefer crowns. Whatever you do, I think you should save tooth structure and get a veneer if the tooth doesn't need a crown.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

You cannot get a crown on a veneer

+1

It looks like you want to put a crown on a veneer. It is absolutely impossible. The margins of the crown should lay down on a natural tooth, so it is better to remove the old veneer and then get a crown. If you want to get a crown on a tooth and get the veneer on adjacent tooth, it is possible.

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

You can get a crown OR a veneer

+1

A veneer is a very thin shell or facing which alters the way the front of a tooth. A crown shaves down the entitre tooth and covers it completely. Veneers are generally limited to the front teeth as they are very delicate. However, if a front tooth has had extensive restorations or a rooth canal, it is indicated that a crown be placed.

New York Cosmetic Dentist