Cosmetic Surgery for Removing Facial Scars?

I have two scars (2 cms and 1 cm long) on each side of my upper lip. I am now considering going through cosmetic procedures to get rid of them. What are my options? How safe are the procedures and how much would they cost?

Scar position, orientation, and width

+3

The answer to your question depends partially on the scar position, orientation, and width. Their are three broad categories of addressing scars: one with dermabrasion, one with excision, and one with camouflage.

Scars that are excessively deep and/or wide generally require an excisional approach. Hairline scars, or scars that have raised edges may respond aesthetically to sanding the scar down: a technique known as dermabrasion. Wide or deep scars generally require excision and or re-orientation. The reason for this is that scars generally heal best when they sit in a position of relaxed skin tension lines, or a position that matches the lines of movement of the skin. On the lip, this is generally vertical. If the scar crosses the vermilion border (junction of red and white lip), special care is taken to align this junction perfectly.

Lastly, some scars can't be improved upon aesthetically, and for this variety, I would recommend a mineral based makeup for camouflage.

Cost varies on what needs to be done. Dermabrasion is likely to cost up to a few hundred dollars. Scar excision can cost $1000 and up, depending on who you see. In my practice, I charge for scar revision as a function of time: the more complicated the scar, the more time required.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

You Can Never Get Rid of Scars..Only Camoflauge Them

+2

Unfortunately any time that you cut the skin you will have a scar. Make no mistake, there is no way to get rid of a scar. There are however, ways to reduce the appearance of scars and make them less noticeable. There is no single answer to your question. The best option is to visit with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon in your area who has experience wtih scar revision procedures. In some cases, time can be the best cure.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical scar revision for the upper or lower lips

+1

Surgical scar revision and laser skin resurfacing are both great options for scar treatment on the upper or lower lips. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS