i would be super happy to get a defined chin. yet i am really hesistant to do a chin implant becs i really don't know the possible complications. could a surgeon who does chin implants list out the common complications or side effects? for what its worth i'm a male, 33
Male Chin Implant - Possible Complications?
Doctor Answers (10)
Chin implant complications
I probably perform more chin surgery than most surgeons as in addition to being a board certified plastic surgeon, I also have a dental degree. Patients know that, and are usually aware of it before they see me.
Having performed hundreds of chin operations, I have had 2 get infected and every single one was via an intraoral approach. They all did fine, and the problem was corrected. Currently, my preferred approach is via a small under the chin incision and I have had none of them get infected with that approach.
One (out of hundreds) shifted slightly and was corrected via a second procedure. So in summary, I feel it is one of the safest operations we do and it makes a big improvement in your appearance.
You simply can not diet and excercise a larger, stronger chin. You have to decide if you are happy with your chin as it is, or have an operation to enhance the appearance.
What are the possible and typical complications with chin implants?
I have used chin implants for over 20 years and there are really very few complications. Most typical are minimal swellinga dn bruising that resolves in a week or so. The smile can feel off for a month or so and there can be some spot numbness that typically resolves in a month or so. Other possible complications are nerve damage and hematoma...bit these are rare, IMHO. The most common complication, IMO, is inproper aesthetic judgemet in selecting the proper size and shaped implant.
Pain and Recovery After Chin Implant
Residual pain 1 week after a chin implant is not unusual and some swelling should still be present, however from (week 2-5) I would expect to see a gradual but continuous improvermnt on both the pain and swelling matter, if things stall or don"t get better see your surgeon ASAP.
Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com
You might also like...
Male Chin Implant Complications
Complications are no higher in a male than in a female. A chin implant can be a nice addition to creating a masculine and well defined jawline in select patients. Complications include the following:
- Poor scarring
- Asymmetric Placement
- Sensation lost
Overall, with an experienced chin implant surgeon, risks and complications are quite rare.
Web reference: http://www.shahfacialplastics.com/chin%20augmentation.html
Very few complications associated with chin implant.
There are very few complications associated with a chin implant. The majority of times the chin implant is performed under local anesthesia. The patient is placed on antibiotics to prevent infection. There will be some numbness around the chin area and will resolve 99% of the time. Rarely is it ever permanent. If the implant is placed in the proper anatomical position directly over the bone there is no chance of facial motor nerve loss. There is only a 1% chance of the implant migrating or slightly shifting in the first few weeks of the postoperative phase. If an implant does move, it can be readjusted by removing the implant and reinserting it back into the precise anatomical pocket.
Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com
Chin implants have low risk and often high reward
Chin implants are really great for so many reasons. If you have a weak chin and weak side profile then I would really suggest you consider it. I have been doing chin implants for 17 years and they are really a great thing to consider if needed. It is a relatively easy procedure to do and has a fairly quick recovery.
Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS
Chin implant complications to consider
There are two types of chin implant complications and they can be broadly categorized into the way the implant is put in through the mouth or under the chin and the type of implant that is used.
Implants placed through the mouth have a higher incidence of infection, malposition or moving to the wrong area usually too high, injuring the mental or sensory nerve and occasionally extrusion or coming out through the mouth. Implants placed externally under a small incision in the chin have a lower risk of infection and movement of the implant but those risks are still possible. Incidentally, approximately 25% of the population has a scar under their chin from falling or a natural crease there.
Secondly, complications that are related to the type of implant used. Too firm implants like Medpor carry more risks of extrusion and asymmetry and discomfort and are hard to remove if you change your mind. Meshes like mersilene I would stay away from since they are hard to get exact and often create asymmetries and dimpling and are near impossible to remove in my opinion. Other common complications include numbness, infection, and asymmetry of the implant. My preference are the softer anatomic chin implants made out of silastic which is a silicone plastic polymer or goretex coated implants of the same or similar material. They are much more natural and adhere nicely to the bone and rarely get infected and if placed correctly generally don't migrate. Also, the other advantage of those types of implants include the ease of which they may be removed even years later often under local anesthesia through the same incision that they are placed.
So if I was to make a recommendation, I would suggest a silastic or goretex coated silastic chin implant placed externally under a small incision below the chin. I hope this information helps.
Chin implant worthwhile despite low risk of complications
chin implants are an excellent facial sculpture tool to enhance the balance of the face. a defined jawline with good chin strength projects an impression of strength and can balance a prominet nose.
in experienced hands, complications are unusual with chin implants and include of course all of the risks of any surgery (healing problems, bruising, swelling, discomfort (usually mild), a surgical scar (i like to put implants in thought the mouth so no scar shows on the outside), numbness or funny feelings in the surgical area etc).
the most specific and worrysome complications are: 1. infection: not common but if it happens may require complete removal of the implant (and possible re placement later) 2. displacement: the implant can shift if muscle motion or injury causes the implant to move out of the pocket it is placed in (this too could require re-operation to re-position) 3. asymmetry (not matching from side to side): not really a complication but rather a likely outcome since no one has a face (or chin) that matches side to side. expect some difference and at times adding the implant can draw your attention to your pre existing differences. most times not really a "problem".
since all surgery carries risk, improve your chances of a good outcome by seeking an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon and carefully following your operative care instructions.
dr mary herte
Chin implants are generally safe, but every surgery has risk
Chin implants are one of my favorite surgical procedures. I can't think of any other surgical procedure that is as straightforward to perform, and helps the entire face/profile/neck appearance so dramatically.
The major types of complications are those common to all facial surgery: bleeding, infection, numbness of the chin or lips, weakness of the chin or lip muscles, tilting or assymmetry of the implant, or infection, either immediate or years down the line.
One of the best things about chin implants is that, unless they were to get infected, they are generally lifetime devices. That is, unlike breast implants, which one would generally expect to need replacement at som point, chin implants generally last a lifetime.
On the flip side, if for some reason the implant caused trouble, or just wasn't what you wanted esthetically, they are very straightforward to remove just under local anesthesia.
So, while the procedure isn't risk free, I recommend it to any patient I think can benefit, as the risk/benefit ratio is excellent, and my patients have generally been extrememly happy with them.
Risks of Chin enlargement or augmentation with implants
Many of the complications depend on the implant materials which can vary from silicone, gortex (PTFE), marlex (polypropylene mesh), medpor (porous polyethylene), hydroxyapatite, etc.
There are risks to crossing the street or flying in an airplane and, of course, there are risks to any surgical procedure. These risks can occur regardless of surgeon or technique. These include but are not limited to: infection, hematoma, discomfort, wound breakdown, hypertrophic scar formation, asymmetry, unfavorable healing, implant rotation, migration, infection, exposure, bony erosion, dental injury, nerve injury with diminished lip sensation (which can cause drooling), palpability, visibility, distortion with muscular contraction, capsular contracture, interference with lip/chin sensation, need for secondary surgical revisions, and inabiltity to guarantee a specific cosmetic result. Although many other claims of diseases associated with silicone implants have been reported these have not been substantiated by major studies.
Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/chin.html
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.