Is It Possible to Combine Tummy Tuck with C-section?

Can I have my 2nd Tummy Tuck combined with my cesarean section? I had a Tummy tuck 16 months ago and I am now pregnant!

Can I actually combine the Cesarean section procedure with a Tummy Tuck at the time of birth?

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your history and description, you will likely be a good candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point.  Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  For most patients in your situation I also use liposuction surgery as a contouring tool, most often used in the flank areas, mid-epigastric areas and pubic areas. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

C section and tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

I understand your motivation on this and it is not the first time we have seen this request.  We do tummy tucks on patients with hysterectomies at the same time and do it routinely if the ob doctor feels that the combination  procedure is okay.

In the case of the C section and doing a tummy tuck, this is not a good combination.  You have so many issues related to the just delivered baby and your body hormone changes.  In addition, there are many factors to watch after a c section such as bleeding etc.  It would not be wise to add to these problems a "masking" operation such as a tummy tuck.  Is your pain in the abdomen from an internal bleed or from the tummy tuck?  You get the idea.

Be patient.  Have your children and then seek out your plastic surgeon who will accurately plan your approach with your contracted body parts. 

Much more wise this way.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

C -Section at same time as tummy Tuck a no no!

+1

I consider this highly inadvisable. During pregnancy you manufacture hormones that create laxity in your tissues to facilitate delivery of your baby. You also are likely carrying addtional weight(no offense:)). Waiting for a return to near desired weight will make your result worth the wait.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Not advisable to combine Tummy Tuck with c-section

+1

I would not recommend this approach. Although it sounds more convenient, the cosmetic result would almost certainly be suboptimal. Your abdomen would still be distended immediately after the C-section because the uterus will not shrink back completely so quickly. Therefore, you will likely end up with persistent skin excess and muscular wall laxity when the tissues finally relax.

There may also be safety issues that would preclude prolonging your time in the operating room at the time of the C-section.

For these reasons, it's best to wait several months after the C-section when your body stops changing prior to considering the cosmetic procedure.

Good Luck.

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Controversy about Tummy Tuck and C-section at same time.

+1

There are some surgeons who are willing to perform this but the vast majority of plastic surgeons have concerns about doing an extensive procedure like this in a potential emergent situation in which you may not be under optimal conditions. The skin is extremely thin and friable. Most gynecologists prefer to close your wounds as soon as possible following delivery rather than subjecting you to a second surgical procedure requiring creation of tissue flaps and dead spaces.