Preventing Collagen Loss, Broken Capillaries and Brown Spots

I am a female who just turned 25. I would like to start a skin care treatment to prevent collagen loss, broken capillaries, and brown spots. What types of treatments would you suggest? I am interested in lasers (both ablative and non-ablative as well as chemical peels).

Skin care for prevention is better than procedures

+1

These changes are most often the result of sun damage, so maximizing your skin care regimen will be your best bet for prevention. Sun protection, antioxidants and retinoids tailored to your skin type and lifestyle are an excellent start for someone your age. Lasers, intense pulsed light and chemical peels can treat the skin changes you mention as they are forming but do not aid in prevention.

San Antonio Dermatologist

Prevention is the best medicine

+1

The best way to prevent the type of problems you describe is through sun-avoidance and religious use of sunscreen. Do what you love to do but avoid the peek sun hours between 10am and 3pm. I would recommend a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 and up on a daily basis. You could also incorporate an anti-oxidant into your skin care routine. If you already have the type of spots you describe then you might be a candidate for treatment with Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)

Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

The best prevention is using sunscreen daily

+1

In addtion to sunscreen use, daily application of Retin A helps strengthen collagen. Beware of over the counter creams which promise a lot but deliver almost nothing except a lighter wallet.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Preventing broken capillaries, sun spots, and collagen loss

+1

Unfortunately there are no lasers or skin care treatments that can prevent broken capillaries, sun spots, or collagen lossl. However, lasers can help improve these problems.

Preventing broken capillaries, collagen loss and pigmentary issues

+1

Unfortunately, laser nor peels are effective at "preventing" the collagen loss, brown spots and broken capillaries. Laser may be effective at treating some of these issues but not preventing them. The best shot at prevention resides in the "old standards" - diligent use of sunscreen and avoidance of sun and then regular use of retina.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon