Can Closed Rhinoplasty Fix my Asymmetrical Nostrils?

I don't really hate the shape of my nose; I just it want to be more symmetrical. But I'm a little skeptic as to whether a nose job can match shape of my nostrils when I have seen people with huge yet perfectly straight, symmetrical noses end up with smaller crooked ones.

I would greatly appreciate a prompt reply. I have already scheduled an appointment for next month but I'm having second thoughts. This is driving me crazy!

Thank you.

Closed rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nostrils, depends of cause of asymmetry

+1

Closed rhinoplasty can fix asymmetrical nostrils, but it depends on the degree of asymmetry of the nostrils themselves. Sometimes a simple alarplasty can be performed to further balance the nostril shape and width. Asymmetrical tip cartilages can also cause asymmetrical nostrils, and this can be addressed through a closed rhinoplasty as well. It is important to know what is causing the asymmetry and to embark on a surgical plan of action to correct the underlying problem.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Asymmetric nostrils

+1

It is best to share a photograph with respect to keeping your privacy a priority. Everyone has some vagaries of asymmetry in their face and nose. If the nostril gives a snearing appearance because it is tilted and retracted to one side, or simply has an oval versus a round shape, this is important to discuss. Plastic Surgery of the Nose, the most difficult procedure of the face we perform, can yield stunning results when a proper diagnosis and the appropriate principles of operation are selected.

Open Rhinoplasty would not be necessary per se, but some doctors feel more comfortable with an open approach. Many of us still perform Endonasal surgery for the nose with no columellar scar, since our training and experience permits us to address all problems from the inside. The complexities of Rhinoplasty has prompted many training programs to introduce this method for those acquiring initial experience, and in practice those, surgeons seeing an array of complex nasal deformities will deploy it.

Retracted nostrils related to a deficiency of skin and cartilage may be simply treated with grafting from an ear to restore fullness. This would leave a fading scar on the inside roof of the nostril. A fading scar behind the ear is all that is required for the graft site.

Nostril Symmetry

+1

Perfect nostril symmetry is an impossible goal. If this is your primary motivation for the surgery, don't have the operation. I'm sorry some friends and acquaintances have had unsatisfactory results. Arguably, rhinoplasty is the most difficult cosmetic operation we do. Pick a surgeon who specializes in this procedure.

Perfect symmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

Perfect symmetry after rhinoplasty is impossible. Rhinoplasty can refine noses to make them look natural, to maintain or improve the airway, and to improve the size and shape of problem areas( i.e.nostril size).

Hold off on surgery for now.

+1

Achieving symmetry is a near impossible goal and if that is what you are seeking it is very likely you may be disappointed. Attempting to diminish the degree of asymmetry is a more reasoanble approach. If you are having second thoughts and your nose is "not that bad", it sounds as if you should defer surgery for now. Your words indicate that you will be looking for any asymmetry which you will find upsetting.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast.html

Rhinoplasty for Asymmetric Nostrils, Be Sure Before Surgery

+1

Hi Adria,

Asymmetric nostrils are difficult to even exactly. Rhinoplasty will change your nose for the rest of your life. As you know, it is not like a haircut where if you don't like it, "it will grow back". In some individuals, a slight asymmetry can be corrected with injectable fillers, something to consider until you are surer of having rhinoplasty.

Make sure that you have given your rhinoplasty great thought before having the surgery. It is important that you have communicated to your prospective surgeon what bothers you about your nose, and what you would be satisfied with after surgery. Be absolutely certain that your surgeon is "on the same wavelength" as you, and that your surgeon is confident that your goals can be achieved.

Those before and after noses that are scaring you should not be from the surgeon that you are considering. Get multiple consultations. Do not have your surgery until you feel certain that you are ready to have it.

Be well.

Dr. P

Second Thoughts Mean Hold Off on Surgery

+1

Any time a patient is having second thoughts it is important to hold off on surgery. This gives you time to re-evaluate and figure out exactly what your concerns and fears are and then discuss them with your surgeon before surgery and not after surgery.

The nostrils can be made symmetric with close or open approach rhinoplasty. It all depends on the extent of the deformity. In some really bad noses or cleft palate related deformities of the nose or secondary (repeat) rhinoplasties an approach is preferred.

Regards

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril Asymmetry is Correctable

+1

Most often, failure in correcting deviated noses lies in failure to correct the nasal septum. New deviations that occur after Rhinoplasty also often involve failure to correct the nasal septum.

The nasal septum is a large structure, the base of which lies just behind the columella (the skin between the nostrils). Deviations to the lowest or caudal part of the septum can create nostril asymmetry.

This is usually corrected using a caudal septoplasty technique. This should be independent to other changes you are seeking to achieve in the nose.

Make sure your surgeon is well versed in septoplasty surgery and you should be OK.

Best of Luck

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon