Chin Implant for More Prominent, but Not Longer Chin?

I have a receding chin. I want it to be more prominent, but my chin is already long, I don't want to have any more virtual height for my chin. Can I have a chin implant?

Chin implant gives anterior projection and slight widening

+1

The implant itself is placed on the front portion of the chin to give anterior projection. There is no lengthening associated with a chin implant, only an anterior projection and a slight widening effect from the implant itself. It is placed through a submental incision underneath the chin and is usually done under local anesthesia.

Chin implant options to reshape your chin

+1

Yes, you can get an implant that will add prominence to your chin and not height. Try and bring in some pictures of chins that you would like to give your plastic surgeon an even better idea of your aesthetic goals. Chin implants can be shaped to meet your goals. They can be made out of silicone or medpor, both of which are great options and come in a variety of sizes. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Many options available for chin augmentation or implant

+1

Yes your implant can be place more onthe anterior surface of the mandible rather than on the anterior and inferior border.

However there are boney techniques to reduce both the vertical height and provide additional projection. You may want to discuss these options with a plastic surgeon or oral surgeon. The arrangement of your teeth (occlusion) is an important anatomic feature which should be examined and taken into consideration when planning chin surgery.

Chin Implant Surgery will make your chin stronger, and more prominent.

+1

The vertical height of your chin can remain unchanged with an Extended Anatomical Chin Implant. I like the products from Implantech, and an  Extended Anatomical Medium is the most commonly placed implant.

I've attached a link to my Chin Implant Photos for your perusal.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant without adding height

+1

A regular anatomical chin implant placed properly should increase anterior projection without adding height to the chin. If your chin is already long but lacking in anterior projection, the implant can be positioned slightly higher than usual to avoid adding chin height.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

More prominent, but not longer chin

+1

You may want to have either a chin implant OR a Sliding Genioplasty.

Depending on the style and placement of the chin implant -- the chin can be made to appear to have more forward projection without increase in height.

With a Sliding Genioplasty, a transverse cut is placed through the lower chin and the fragment of bone is pulled forward and fixed when the desired forward projection is reached. By orienting the cut front-high to back low, as the fragment is moved forward the height of the chin can even be lowered. (The reverse is done when we want to increase height at the same time).

Good Luck.

Chin implant options

+1

There are a wide variety of sizes and styles of chin implants. An experienced surgeon should examine you and choose the best you you. Properly selected and done, the implant should add forward projection to your chin, not vertical height.

You could also consider a sliding genioplasty in which your chin bone is moved forward and the height reduced.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Chin implant

+1

If a standard implant is not suitable, certainly a customized implant can achieved your goals. If the height of your chin is too much this can be reduced and and the resected bone may be used as an autograft. There are several possibilities, but you should visit with an experienced plastic, facial plastic or oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon