Chin Implant Methods and Options?

I am considering getting a chin implant, but I am concerned with the possibility of it shifting. I was wondering if someone could explain to me the differences as to why some doctors place the implant from under the chin and others screw it in place. Is one method better?

Also, what other types of surgeries are an option? Is it possible to move my entire jaw or chin bone into place to obtain a more permanent fix?

Chin implants

+2

A Chin Augmentation would GREATLY improve your appearance. The chin can be augmented with man made synthetic implants or by advancing your own jaw forward (Sliding genioplasty).

As regards chin implants - as you pointed out they are made by different manufacturers but can be divided into 3 groups : Silicone elastomers, PTFE (formerly Goretex) and POREX implants.

Of these the cheapest and easiest to put in are the silicone implants. They are also the most apt to rotate and when surrounded by scar capsule to lose their shape. They can be placed either through the mouth or the outer chin.

The PTFE implants are softer and less apt to move, but need to be stitched in place. Like silicone implants, they are not incorporated by the body.

Porex implants are porous and harder to put in and need to be place through an under the chin incision (cleaner and better visibility). They allow in growth of scar and blood vessels but are best stabilized with a single screw (which you will NOT feel).

In a Sliding Genioplasty, a cut is made through the lower jaw. The cut can be horizontal or oriented at an angle to allow a greater jaw height as the segment is pulled forward. It is then fixed in the new location with a plate and screws (which you will not feel).

Which one? depends on your like and dislike as well as your surgeon's preferences.

Good Luck.

Chin implant options

+2

You appear to be a good candidate for chin augmentation and there are some options available. The most common approach is with a chin implant. Most commonly, these are either silicone or a more porous material. There are pro's and con's with each and your surgeon should discuss those with you. I personally place a screw in all implants to prevent any migration or shifting. This screw is not visible nor palpable. There is the option of making the incision underneath the chin, or going thru the inside of the mouth. Again, there are pro's and con's of each approach that you should be aware of, and in my opinion, going underneath the chin is usually a better option.

There are definitely options other than a chin implant available as well. If your occlusion, or "bite" is normal, then it is possible to move the bottom portion of the chin bone out to give you the look you desire. If your bite is off. then sometimes it is best to move the lower jaw bone out to correct your bite as well as the chin. All of these options should be discussed with your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Dean Fardo, MD

Chin Implant Method and Options

+1
The pocket is usually made under a thin but strong membrane called the periosteum with the pocket made to the exact size. The pocket then shrinks down around the implant to hold if firmly in place and it will feel just like your chin - you will not be able to wiggle it.

A a screw is not usually used for silicone implants (the most common type) but is used for others such as PTFE, Gortex, Medpor, etc.

The incision to place a chin implant can be in your lower lip or in the crease below your chin. I prefer using the crease below your chin as there is less chance for infection or weakness to chin muscles.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin surgery

+1
Chin surgery should be avoided when jaw surgery is needed. Your options are an implant, sliding genioplasty or mandibular advancement which would require orthodontic treatment.

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

Chin augmentation can be easily done with an implant. I prefer to use a tiny external incision and never expose the implant to the bacteria in the mouth, hopefully decreasing the risk of infection. As long as the pocket is perfect, the implant won't move and there is no need to anchor it with screws.

A sliding genioplasty moves the lower front portion of the jaw forward like pulling out a drawer and is more versatile than a chin implant but more complex to perform.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Chin implant placement options

+1

A chin implant is placed through an incision on the underneath side of the chin and inserted directly over the bone and underneath the skin and muscle, and placed in an envelope underneath the periosteum covering the bone. It is directly inserted between the periosteum and the bone and fit in a very anatomical, snug pocket that will not shift, move, or migrate. It does not need to be screwed in place into the bone. The types of implant used are typically Silastic implants. This is a long lasting fix and gives a very natural appearance.

Chin implant options

+1

You are justified in your confusion. All the options you have mentioned are a possibility. Implants do shift. Therefore some surgeons fix them in place with screws or stitches. Other surgeons, prefer implants that promote tissue ingrowth and create a velcro effect diminishin the chance of shifting. Other surgeons prefer bone surgery as opposed to implants. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages.

Many chin options

+1

Your chin is very weak and your profile would be improved with chin enhancement. There are many possibilities depending on how your jaws and teeth fit and how much correction you want. If your whole jaw is receded and your teeth need alignment you may benefit from jaw surgery. This is generally more surgery than most people want.

You chin can be enlarged by advancing the bone or placing an implant. Bone advancement has the advantage of not having an implant that could cause problems in the long term. Implants are made out of different material and the choices can be confusing. Silicone implants are soft and can become encapsulated and cause bone erosion. The porous plastic implants attach to the bone and stay fixed but may have some edges that can be felt. After these implants are healed they do not shift.

Make sure all of these options have been considered and then decide which is best for you.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon