Can Chin Implant Give a Better Jaw Angle?

My profile has little angle--it's straight across. I have a little chin but it looks like if I got a chin implant, it would exagerate my straight across jaw. Can a chin implant help me?

Chin implant can improve chin profile

+1

A chin implant can strengthen a weak chin profile by providing more anterior projection to the chin line. The implant itself is made of Silastic silicone plastic and is inserted through a small incision underneath the chin and placed directly on the bone. The implant is then covered by the periosteum muscle and skin. A chin implant alone can be placed under local anesthesia.

Chin Implants

+1

Chin implants are intended to add projection to a weak chin. They are excellent when the occlusion is normal. That is when the teeth fit together correctly than a weak chin can be corrected by an implant or a genioplasty (surgery to cut the bone and move it forward).

If the occlusion is wrong than a chin implant isn't the best method to improve the jaw line. Width of the jaw also will not be corrected with an implant.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Surgery may improve your jaw line.

+1

Chin Implant Surgery is relatively straightforward, and can lead to a pleasing appearance, along with a more defined jawline. Extended implants that wrap around your chin may lead to favorable results.

I've attached a link to my Chin Implant photos for your perusal.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant improves profile

+1

Generally speaking, chin surgery should help your profile in 3 ways:

a.) make your chin project further forward (stronger chin);

b.) bring the nose and chin into proportional harmony; and

c.) improve the appearance of the neckline.

Most often, this is done with a simple implant (aka mentoplasty), but sometimes requires actual chin bone repositioning (aka genioplasty). Your surgeon should discuss the differences with you and tell you specifically which one is right to enhance your look.

He/she should also show you pre-surgical imaging in order to give you a reasonable idea what you would look like after the recommended procedure is complete. I suspect once you see the images, you will know whether or not you want to proceed.

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants come in many sizes and shapes

+1

Chin implants used to be small "button" implants on the center of the chin. These looked good from a precise profile, but from any other angle distorted otherwise narrow jawbones. Now chin implants come in many sizes and shapes. I have 6 different shapes, each with at least 5 sizes in my chin sizer box. All are extended implants; the wrap around the chin and extend along the jaw to help narrowness as well.

Chin implants can also make an otherwise shallow neck appear more sculpted by increasing the distance from the top of the voicebox (called the hyoid bone) to the end of the chin. Seek out a specialist in facial surgery to discuss the best options for you.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD