Will Chin Implant Improve my Profile?

I want to improve my projection, chin height, and chin width. Am I a good candidate for an implant? I would like an unbiased opinion before I proceed in getting surgery. TY

Chin Implants for Profile Balance

+4

Given the profile view that you submitted, a chin implant would benefit your facial balance tremendously. Your nose seems very well proportioned and would balance well with a stronger profile.

As a man, this is typically a desireable change.

My only question would be your age. It is hard to judge from a partial photograph. However, if you are under 18, then it is likely your chin will mature and grow. If that is the case, you should wait and see how your face develops.

Good luck

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are an ideal candidate for a chin implant or a lower jaw osteotomy.

+3

With the profile photo you have included your profile and general appearance would be markedly improved with a chin implant or a mandibular osteotomy. which would be best for you can only be determined by checking the position of your teeth. If you have good occlusion of your teeth (they go together in the right place) then a chin implant would work wonders. If your teeth are not in the right position then you should see a qualified maxilofacial surgeon. Your plastic surgeon can determine the best procedure for you. What ever you do you will have a great result.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Will Chin implant improve my profile?

+3

Mike,

Yes. It appears you would benefit from a chin enhancement procedure.

A chin can be augmented either by placing an implant ON TOP of the lower edge of the mandible (chin implant) OR by moving a segment of the lower mandible forward to give the appearance of a more projecting chin (sliding genioplasty).

Good Luck.

Chin Implant

+2

Based on your photo, a chin implant will improve your projection, height and width. It is difficult for me to say exactly how I would proceed without examining you. It is a fairly simple procedure that can yield great results when done correctly. Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

All about chin implants

+2

Yes, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a chin implant. The entire procedure lasts about 1-2 hours and the pain is usually very minimal. The implant can be made of silicone or methylmethacrylate, and I've had good success with silicone implants as they are the softest ones. Also, make sure you check out some before and after photos before choosing your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

A stronger chin would look good

+2

Hi Mike,

More prominence of your jaw certainly would give you a more aesthetic and masculine profile. Before deciding whether a chin implant is beneficial, the relationship of your upper and lower teeth needs to be assessed. If they meet appropriately, a surgery geared towards increasing chin prominence, which can either be a chin implant or genioplasty, in which the chin bone is cut and advanced, would be appropriate. If you have a significant overbite, then an operation geared towards lengthening your enitre jaw would be better.

Your best bet is consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Chin Implant for Profile

+2

A weak chin generally refers to loss of projection and/or height. I agree that you need something done with your chin. I'm a little old school in that I fully feel that your occlusion or bite must be assessed. If this is okay than your options are an implant which holds its on set of issues vs a genioplasty or movement of the bony part of the chin. See someone who knows how to do, as does both.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Possibly

+2

An impant will do the things that you are seeking, however you should first have the jaws and teeth evaluated. The simplest cause of your concerns is an underdeveloped chin itself. However, you may have a short lower jaw, and even problems with the dental occlusion, and upper jaw.

Before making changes to the chin with an implant, you want to be sure the facial and jaw relationships are understood.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Chin Implant

+2

Given the limited information here, placement of an implant appears to be a reasonable option for you to improve your facial profile. I would clearly make sure that your underlying dentittion is satisfactory and in alignment.

Yes, a more prominent chin would enhance your profile

+2

There is an easy way to see if your chin is small. If you draw a straight line down from the most prominent portion of your lower lip, the line should meet your chin. On your profile, you can see that your chin would be behind this line, or "under- projected." You have two augmentation choices. One is to have the mandibular bone cut and advanced (genioplasty). The other is to have a chin implant (mentoplasty). A chin implant can be placed through an incision in the mouth or on your chin. The implant is made of a solid silicone material. You can't go wrong either way--best to discuss the options with your surgeon.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon