What Are the Chances of Scarring After Subcision?

I heard that there is a chance you can get additional scarring from subcision from the needle. What are the chances of this happening?

How can I reduce the chances this happening to me when I get subcision done?

I scar pretty easily, even from small zits. I have however, had Restylane (which uses an 18g needle) filled into my scars before without it leaving any permanent scars.

Subcision scarring

+1

Subcision scarring is uncommon.  If your skin is prone to scar, you may see a small mark form the entry site of whatever needle is used to subcise.

Chances of scarring after subcision

+1

If you did not have scarring as a result of Restylane injections, the chance of developing additional scarring from saline subcision is extremely unlikely. I personally like to stick with the small 30-gauge needle rather than the large no-cor needles that look like shovels for saline subcision, to minimize any collateral trauma, although patients seem to do well with that needle as well.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.