Chances of Side Effect from Silicone Lip Injections?

I'm thinking of getting silicon injected into my lips. However, the pictures of actress Lisa Rinna are scary.

Can anyone tell me if that's what happens over the years of having silicone injections or is it from too much silicone injections?

Silicone injection complications on the face

+2

Silicone complications are real and are the result of contaminants in the silicone than can stimulate an inflammatory response. I would stay clear of silicone injections in the face.

Do not inject silicone

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Silicone micro injections

+1

i believe that 99.9% of silicone problems are based on bad technique. too much squeezed in too fast with a bad technique. i use micro droplets of pure grade silicone placed with a minimum interval of at least one month. is there a long-term risk with silicone.

i believe that there is always a risk of a reaction to the product but that can happen with almost any injectable. the reason that i find that silicone should not have that interaction with you is that first, it is already in your body. every needle you get injected with is coated with micro silicone beads. second, the doctors with whom i have trained have done it for over 45 years without issues.

here is one of three videos to talk about silicone safety. you should also watch part 1, which talks about the fact that there is no causal link between silicone and collagen vascular disease as documented by a huge meta-analysis of hundreds of thousands of women.

interestingly, i correct a ton of other people's bad silicone lips. they look terrible. you can check my work out on my website as well as my silicone corrections on www.lamfacialplastics.com.

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon