Chances of Acne Coming Back After Accutane Treatment?

What are the chances of my acne coming back? I took Accutane for 142 days at a 80mg/day... the total mgs that I took was 11360 mg. Im 18 years old, and I weigh 160 lbs. Are the chances of remission really high?

Yes

+1

The higher the dose, the greater the chances of long-term remission. While nothing is 100%, Accutane is your best chance for a "cure". In my experience of prescribing Accutane for 26 years, I'd guess you have an 80% chance of significant, long-term remission of your severe acne. If it returns, look into possible hormonal causes for your acne, like polycystic ovary syndrome.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Chance of acne coming back after Accutane

+1

The most likely scenario is that after approximately 4-6 months off Accutane, you would notice a few pimples every now and then that might be controlled with a single topical medication. In general, when a full course of Accutane is taken as in your case, you should notice significant long-term benefit, that is, if your acne recurs, it should be far less in severity than it was before Accutane.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist