What Are my Options for Cartilage Grafting to Replace Nasal Implant?

If I have a revision rhinoplasty and get my nasal implant removed, from where will my cartilage be taken, (as i have little in my nose). Can it be taken from any other place other than ear?

Also, how long will it take to heal? Will it be an open or a closed surgery?

I am from India and will be soon leaving the US. Is there any doctor here that you can suggest? If yes, please do.

Nasal grafting for revision rhinoplasty.

+1

Your options are four. The best location is naturally cartilage from your nose. Usually there isn't any. Then its your ear followed by your rib. The rib has the advantage of also getting bone.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage best replacement for nasal implant

+1

Cartilage from your rib is the likely the best option for you.  Rib cartilage can be carved to build you a new bridge.  In some patients there may be enough cartilage in the septum to reconstruct the bridge.

Sam Naficy, MD

Cartilage Graft Options In Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

In revision rhinoplasty, it is usually necessary to reconstruct and reshape the nasal framework using cartilage grafts. Because available septal cartilage has usually been removed during the first surgery, grafts must obtained from another site - either the ear or the rib.

Rib cartilage has many uses and advantages in revision rhinoplasty. It can be carved or shaped to the desired configuration. Its rigidity can provide support to a weakened nasal framework

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal implant removal

+1

If for whatever reason you need to remove a nasal implant, there are other implant materials available.  This can from you, as in rib cartilage, or it can come from a cadaver rib cartilage. It is better if it is your own tissue.

Removal Nasal Implant

+1

Sources of cartilage for nasal augmentation include the septum, the ear, and the ribs. Whether the open or closed technique is used depend on the preference of your your surgeon.  There are many qualified surgeons across the country. Find a physician conveniently located.