Care After a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

I need to get some detailed information on how much care I will need about a tummy tuck with

lipo

. I am alone and in my middle 50s.

It is best to have someone stay with you the first day or 2 after tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question. It is important that you discuss your recovery and need for assistance after tummy tuck with the plastic surgeon who is operating on you. Every surgeon has their own guidelines and recommendations.

Generally speaking in my practice I asked patients to have someone stay with them to help them with her daily activities for the first day or 2 after tummy tuck surgery.

Tummy tuck recovery

+1

Every person is different, so it is impossible to give you specific advice without meeting with you and going over your specific situation. However, generally after abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) you will need assistance for the first few days. In most cases we have patients return home the same day as their surgery as long as they have someone at home who can take care of them. In addition to needing assistance with daily tasks and self care over the first few days, you will also need a ride to your follow up appointments. In NYC some patients take car service, a cab or the subway, so this is less of an issue. However, you should also plan for these arrangements. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Care Following Tummy Tuck & Lipo

+1

Ideally you should have someone stay with you for a few days.  I would not want you to drive for 1-2 weeks.  Return to work varies a lot depending on occupation.  Some patients can return in 1-2 weeks, while others will nedd 4-6 weeks.  You need to discuss these questions with your surgeon.

John Whitt, MD

Post-op tummy tuck care

+1

Every surgeon has a different post-op protocol after a tummy tuck. I prefer that patients take it easy for 3-4 weeks.  Then they can start gentle exercise and graduate to heavy lifting at 6-8 weeks.  Most patients need about 2 weeks of downtime to recuperate from a tummy tuck.

Post-op care

+1

You should dicuss this specifically with your own surgeon depending on the exact nature of your surgery. However, in my own practice, almost ever patient that has some sort of a tummy tuck (mini, modified, full) will recover in a post-op care facility with nurses in attendance for anywhere for one to three days on average. At the end of the stay, instructions are given deoending on the patients situation but most will need some sort of help since they might be slow to move, not able to carry anything heavy, and unable to drive for about a week or so. Plan to have someone dedicated to your recovery for the first week.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Post-op care after tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

There are so many factors that go into a successful stress-free recovery. Your treating plastic surgeon will be able to answer for you depending on the extent of surgery, your health, and his preferences.

Some generalities may apply for most patients considering TT and appropriate liposuction. If you go home the first night you will absolutely need someone with you that night and for several days. My practice preference is to strongly encourage patients to spend the first night in a monitored recovery setting, either a post op care facility or in the hospital. the majority of patients go to their home the day after surgery and will need help at home for the first few days or up to a week. Most patients don't drive for a week or so. Depending on the type of work you do, and the extent of surgery done you may need to be off work from 2-6 weeks.

John E. Gross, MD