Odds of Capsular Contracture if Patient Has Fibroadenoma?

If you have fibroadenoma, are chances of encapsulation higher if you get saline breast implants under the muscle?

+1

To the best of my knowledge, there are no correlations between a fibroadenoma and the risk of developing capsualr contracture.

Capsular contracture and fibroadenoma

+1

The risk of a capsular contracture after getting breast implants  and having a fibroadenoma removed is probably the same risk as just getting implants.

Chances of capsular contracture

+1

Thanks for your question -

In our San Francisco area practice we counsel patients on the incidence and ways of avoiding capsular contracture when seeking breast augmentation.

To my knowledge there is no increase in capsular contracture secondary to having a fibroadenoma.

Things that have been shown to decrease the incidence of capsular contracture include:

1. Implants beneath the muscle.
  2. Using an antibiotic solution (but not betadine) during implantation
  3. Minimizing bleeding
  4. Good surgical technique

Good luck with your research and future surgery.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Fibroadenomas have no known association with capsule contracture.

+1

A fibroadenoma is a benign growth within the breast tissue. This is a common condition. Obviously anyone with a new or growing lump in the breast must have this evaluated by her physician to rule out more serious breast condition.

I am not aware of any studies linking fibroadenoma to capsule contracture. I have had several patients with adenomas who had breast augmentation. They all did fine.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

No difference

+1

To my knowledge, there is no increase in incidence of capsular contracture with fibroadenoma of the breast. Furthermore, I have seen nothing to convince me that implants below the muscle have a lower incidence of capsular contracture than implants above. I do prefer putting saline implants below the muscle in most circumstances to help camouflage aesthetic issues resulting from the lack of viscosity of saline (relative to silicone gel).