Can SUPER Large Breast Implants Lead to Weight Gain?

...as the body tries to compensate for out of whack body symmetry - I've been told that it was inevitable to gain weight in trunk and legs when one goes with huge implants- like 1000 cc's on a 5'3" 120 lb woman. True or not? I am considering a breast reduction, lift and much smaller implants - PS suggests lipo as diet and exercise have not worked for me to lose the 15 lbs I've gained since EXTRA LARGE implants were placed 2 years ago. Please Advise. Thanks

Eating too much will lead to weight gain, not large breast implants.

+4

It sounds like you have stumbled into a Urban Legend. There is nothing about biologically non active breast implants which would cause you to gain weight. There certainly are many ill effects you might experience from overly large breast implants. These include ripples, palpability, pseudoptosis, drooping, and even breakdown of the breast tissue and skin with exposure of the implant. Only consuming more calories than you burn will make you gain weight. I would encourage you to think twice before getting extremely large breast implants for the above reasons.

Weight gain and implants

+3

The weight you should gain from implants would be the weight of the implant + volume of the implant. Let's say an implant is 300 cc's that is about a 1/2 pound. So with two implants you would gain about a pound. If you have gained weight because of inactivity, that can improve with increased activity and diet.

It is possible that psychological impact of huge implants caused you to gain weight.

+3

Hi!

We have seen a lot of women lose weight because of the changed body image caused by breast reduction. So it is possible that the opposite happened to you, and you gained weight along with a huge increase in breast size. This would be a psychological effect. Breast implants themselves don't cause you to gain weight.

It sounds like you need a good breast lift with much smaller implants (400 cc's?). I would not do liposuction unless you have particular bulges. Liposuction is not for weight loss.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The only weight gain would be that of the implants

+3

The only weight gain would be that of the implants.  However, if you do have very large implants, it may inhibit your exercise which would indirectly lead to weight gain as well. 

David Shafer, MD

Implants do not cause you to gain weight

+3

Implant, no matter how large, do not cause you to gain weight. Implants on the order of 1000cc's cause many more problems than weight gain such as thinning of the overlying breast tissue, stretching of the skin and breast tissue, neck, shoulder and back pain and rashes under the enlarged breasts.

Removing such large implants will leave breasts that will need significant work. You might what to do the surgery in stages to be absolutely safe. Just a thought.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Implants will not cause weight gain

+3

Large implants will not cause you to gain weight. The same is true for using a smaller sized implant, it will not help you loose much weight. The only weigtht loss that you may experience is from the implant itself. An implant that is 1,000 cc weighs just over 2 pounds. Large implants will cause many problems especially if your soft tissue can not support the weight. Time, weight and gravity are not on your side. Your plan for smaller implants and a breast lift sound appropriate depending on several factors such as the thickness of your breast tissue over the implant. An experienced plastic surgeon will be able to help you achieve your goals.

Implants do not cause your body fat to increase

+3

The only correlation with an increase in weight from large implants is the weight of the implant itself. I would say that although I have used large volume implants that 1000cc (I assume saline) I believe the implants you have now are too large for your frame. Discuss your oprtion to downsize with your plastic surgeon.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Not likely from the implants.

+2

Hi,

Breast implants will not cause you to gain weight directly when they are that large. The implants only weigh a couple of pounds at most. They could also have an indirect effect on your weight. Implants this large can bring about several other issues such as neck, back, and shoulder pain, sagging, and thinning of breast skin. The pain along with having such large implants on your small frame could get in the way of exercising.

It is important to find a good board-certified plastic surgeon. Most likely after having such large implants, your breasts will need some work including a lift. It is also important to keep in mind that liposuction is not necessarily for weight loss, but more for body contouring. Consult with your plastic surgeon to see what your best options are.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD