Can I Ask for Jennifer Aniston's Nose when Getting a Nose Job?

Just like a haircut, can I walk into a plastic surgery consultation with a picture of Jennifer Aniston and say "I want that nose!"...or is that not helpful and doctors get mad at these types of requests?

Bringing a photo to a Plastic Surgeon's office can be useful or a warning sign

+7

When I was a resident I was warned that if a patient comes to my office armed with photos of celebrities or models, turn around and run the other way. This is not necessarily true. Coming with a photo or two of what you like can show the surgeon what your personal aesthetic is. This does not mean you will get a nose exactly like Jennifer Aniston, your nose is unlikely just like hers was before any surgery was performed. What I do with these photos is review why you like the nose you have cut out from the magazine and demonstrate why yours may or may not have any similarities. Also, most photos in magazines are in full makeup to cover imperfection then photo-shopped further to make everything look perfect.

On the other hand, if you think that a nosejob will make your career in modeling or acting, this when bringing photos is counter productive.

Use celebrity photos as a discussion tool for rhinoplasty

+4

She has a nice nose so why not. That is a common type of request. Many patients are unable to express exactly what they wish to change about their nose so they pick their favorite celebrity nose and show me. I think it actually helps. I ask the patient what they like or don’t like about the celebrity nose so that I get a sense for what the changes that are desired. This dicussion, combined with computer imaging, makes for an excellent consultation.

Of course it is not possible to give you Jennifer Aniston's nose, nor would her nose necessarily suit your face. It may be possible to change your features so they are more similar to hers.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jennifer Aniston's Nose

+3

If a doctor gets mad when you ask for Aniston's nose, find another surgeon. Certainly you cannot have her nose, but it does give the physician an idea of your aesthetics. It is a starting point to discuss how your nose can be improved. After evaluating the existing nose, the procedure should be individualized to compliment the surrounding facial features. In over thirty years I've never done the same nose twice.

How to get Jennifer Aniston's nose

+2

This request may or may not be unreasonable. If you want the exact nose, then yes, this is an unreasonable request. However, if you say that you like the size and shape of her nose and that you would like your nose to be like Jennifer Aniston's, then you may be able to work with your plastic surgeon. Of course, there is no guarantee that you will get the exact same nose, but bringing in pictures of things that you like gives your plastic surgeon an better idea of your aesthetic goals. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Your nose is not Jennifer Aniston's nose

+2

Unless your nose looked exactly like Jennifer Aniston's did growing up and your face looks just like Jennifer Aniston's face, it is not realistic to ask that question. You will be disappointed. Think of objective qualities you like (shape, tip, width) and try to communicate those with your surgeon. Simply pointing at a two dimensional photo of Jennifer Aniston is not a good idea.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Jennifer Aniston's nose may not be as perfect as you think

+2

Jennifer Aniston's nose may not be as perfect as you think. While I encourage my patients to actually bring in pictures of noses that they like or prefer, it is not possible to make your nose exactly like the picture you bring in. The reason is because not all noses have the same amount of cartilage, skin thickness varies and size and supporting structures vary from person to person. That being said I do feel it is helpful to bring in a picture of the nose you like at your consultation because most surgeons can at least appreciate the type of profile, the tip position, the length and the rotation that you prefer and that would best fit your face. So in summary, while your nose cannot be made to exactly look like someone else, it is indeed helpful in my opinion to discuss the parts of the ideal nose you like to see where your nose can fit in the scheme of things. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jennifer Aniston's Nose? Not Realistic

+2

One of the most important things to realize about rhinoplasty is that each nose has a range of possible outcomes based on the original anatomy of the nose. Another point to consider is that Jennifer Aniston's nose looks great on her face but might not look so good on someone else.

Each individual nose has unique characteristics related to skin thickness, integrity, shape, size, and quality of the structural cartilages, size of the nasal bones, and tip projection/ rotation. A rhinoplasty result will vary on how these variables can be tailored while preserving structure and function.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can ask for it....but you probably won't get it!

+2

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with you requesting Jennifer Aniston's nose; it'll give your surgeon some insight into your aesthetic ideals.

That being said, results in rhinoplasty are highly variable on the characteristics of your nasal skin, nasal bones and cartilage. Your surgeon can try to mimic the shape of someone else's nose, but almost certainly will never be able to achieve it exactly.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Rhinoplasty to have celebrity nose, not advisable

+1

It is not advisable to ask for these types of requests during a rhinoplasty consultation. It is best to have realistic expectations in regards to the presenting issues with your own nose, allowing the surgeon to make the rhinoplasty adjustments according to your own unique facial features. This way your nose, bone, cartilage, and skin will compliment and be balanced with your own facial features, rather than trying to give you somebody else’s nose.

Your nose might be better that Jennifer Aniston's!

+1

You can certainly ask for her nose, but why would you?

1. Her nose shape is far from ideal.

2. Her nose is pretty good on her face, but it might be totally wrong for yours, even if you could get it.

3. You cannot predict exactly what your nose will look like after that surgery. You can get a pretty good approximation looking at your surgeon's before and afters, and going over computer imaging results. Different noses have different limitations on final result.

4. Different surgeons have their "signature noses" sometimes. I would emphasize again looking at their before and after, and making sure you are satisfied with the diversity of their work.

5. Rhinoplasty is an incredibly complex operation. Why do you think it takes so much longer to learn that than to cut hair? It is a different process.

6. There are different reasons to have a rhinoplasty. Trust me, getting somebody else's nose is never a good reason.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD